Slow startup and slow shut down

micemews 15:44 15 Jan 2006

I am using windows windows xp with sp2. I have a 200gb hard disk less than 10% used, Athlon 64 3500+ 2.21gh processor and 1gb of ram.

Until a few days ago the Startup time was about 1 min 50 secs and Shutdown time about 30 to 35 secs and I thought these times were quite good.

However startup now takes at least 3 minutes and shutdown 4 and a half minutes, even after I have closed down all programs that are shown in Task Manager, before pressing Shutdown.

I have run all the diagnostic checks in Norton System Works and defragmented the hard disk but no errors have been found. The only software I have installed recently (I am not sure whether this was before or after my current problem) was some updates and language packs for Nero 6 Reloaded.

Has anyone any ideas as to what may have caused this slowdown and how I can identify and fix the problem. Thanks

wee eddie 16:20 15 Jan 2006

If it is left switched on - Using the PC's power to on/off. This may slow things down.

GuZ><0r 16:23 15 Jan 2006

Get this click here and turn off all the programs that you do not need at startup.

GuZ><0r 16:24 15 Jan 2006

Get the startup inspector, not the monitor.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone