Slow startup and BSOD

gazza447 21:12 04 Nov 2006

I recently had a pc upgrade with a new motherboard, cpu, ram and graphics card and have since experienced a few issues. initially i had problems with drivers which i think has now been sorted. i have installed all drivers on the discs supplied but on the device manager i have microsoft system management bios driver with a yellow exclamation mark on it. i think this could be the source of my problems but am unsure.

the first issue is that it takes a very long time for my computer to boot and to shut down. by cleaning the registry, the shutdown time is better but still has a very long startup time. also when my pc is put under the slightest bit of stress, it crashes to the BSOD and cuts out. when i try to boot up again it cuts out after a few seconds and continues to do this on a few attempts before finally starting up.

after looking on the internet i read that it was an issue with xp sp2 and by reinstalling it i could fix the smbios driver but i am unable to remove sp2. i also read that removing the smbios from device manager would fix the issue but disabling it has no effect and trying to uninstall it casues the BSOD and it cuts out.

i am unsure what to do and am very concerned after spending alot of money on new components for my pc so i wish to have it up and running soon.

what would be the best thing to resolve my problem.

thanks

gazza447 22:07 04 Nov 2006

just noticed when installing usb driver that it said to install xp sp1 or later so windows is not recognising that i have sp1 and 2.

RobCharles1981 00:27 05 Nov 2006

I think as you said that you had a New motherboard ect ect - the best bet would be to Reload your operating system??

Devil Fish 01:01 05 Nov 2006

yup if you have just upgraded your mobo i would say reinstall your O/s as you have potential for driver conflict especially the chipset drivers for your mobo

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?