slow startup

jaygice 18:51 12 May 2003

help how can i speed up my pc at startup it takes for ever i am running windows 98se

powerless 19:06 12 May 2003

Start > Run > Type: MSCONGIG then click ok.

Click on STARTUP and remove the ticks from the boxes. LEave the ticks in "ScanRegistry" and "SystemTray". Click ok and restart your computer.

If you want programs to start then leave the ticks in the boxes. click here

Also run disk defragmenter.

powerless 19:07 12 May 2003

Sorry, Type: MSCONFIG

BlueMeanie 20:52 12 May 2003

In msconfig, click on the righthand tab - startup, and unclick any item that appears twice - take care.

On the task bar, Start, Programs, StartUp folder, have a look at what programs are loading on start up, mine now only contains one !. Don't delete any vital/ virus scanner programs etc.

When Windows first starts up press Control+Alt+Delete together and see what programs are running in the background. Can you detect what programs these are, and possibly stop them ?

This is a list of start-up background programs, try Google for other sites, click here

Have you defragged lately (sorry to be personal - LOL).

If have plenty of RAM (I have 256Mb) try this tweak, which speeded up my PC quite noticeably -

Control Panel, System, Properties, Performance, File System, Typical Role, change this from DESKTOP COMPUTER to NETWORK SERVER. Windows 98SE will then make better use of your RAM.

Regards

ray27 09:46 13 May 2003

By default windows loads all the fonts on startup
most of these you never use so save the ones you think you will not use to a ploppy or make a new folder on your hard drive and save them to there and then delete them .dont delete the more common ones such as roman aerial and any coloured red.
you might delete fonts that are needed by various programs thius way but the program will inform you which font is required and its an easy matter to install it back again.
this will help speed up your startup youl be suprised how many fonts you do have on board

one more little trick,
if you're comfortable messing with your BIOS go in and disable "boot up floppy seek" . dont worry you will still be able to boot from a floppy if needs be , this just stops the system from checking if you have installed a new floppy drive every time, saves about 3 or 4 seconds.

use tweakUI to disable the splash screen

jaygice 13:43 13 May 2003

cheers everyone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?