gel

VoG II 14:35 28 Aug 2010
  gel 14:47 28 Aug 2010

Thanks VoG
I am very pleased I am not alone with this problem
So I will follow the link and see where I get
gel

gel 15:39 28 Aug 2010

I have trawled through a lot of the comments and have concluded that in the short term the easy solution is to disable Microsoft automatic updates.
I will see what happens early to morrow morning
I am sure that a Microsoft patch will be available shortly
I was amazed at the un friendly nature of some of the contributers to the Microsoft forum
It makes you appreciate the helpful friendly PC Advisor crew

I have ticked as resolved and will come back if there are further complications
cheers
gel

provider 2 15:52 28 Aug 2010

Suggest you use the option to switch from Microsoft Updates to Windows Updates available on the Microsoft Updates page, menu on the left: "Change Settings" and scroll down.

I think this would be preferable to disabling Ms Automatic Updates and I can confirm it does fix the wuauclt. exe running-time problem.

An Ms fix for this may be some time in coming.

gel 09:23 29 Aug 2010

Thank you very much provider 2 but can you please tell me how to get to the Microsoft Updates page
gel

provider 2 10:53 29 Aug 2010

Several possible ways but probably easiest to open Internet Explorer, click "Safety" (in the toolbar) and at the bottom of the menu that appears, click "Windows Updates". You will be redirected automatically to Microsoft Updates.

Or in the Start menu, click Windows Updates. Hopefully, this will still work, though I`ve seen it say "This file no longer exists" or something like that on some ancient (relatively speaking) machines.

Or click the link in PA Bear`s instructions for switching to Windows Updates in Ms Social Answers thread on this problem.

provider 2 10:57 29 Aug 2010

You will need to use IE for this: click here

gel 16:07 29 Aug 2010

Thank you provider 2 for your patience

I have done as you suggested and all is well

cheers
gel

provider 2 16:23 29 Aug 2010

Not at all, you`re welcome.

Something I would like to add, though, since you`re running MSE and now only Windows Updates.

DATABASE updates will continue unaffected but you will need to go to the Microsoft Updates site after `update Tuesday` to see if there are any PROGRAMME updates for MSE.

Similarly, updates for Silverlight, Windows Live, Office and some other Ms stuff will need to be checked at the same time.

Hopefully an Ms fix for this will be forthcoming before too long. There are certainly plenty of people pretty miffed that this has happened, as you have noticed in the Ms Social Answers site.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?