slow sending e-mail attachments

samonty 19:16 02 Jan 2008

When I try to send an e-mail with an attachment of say 3Mb with Outlook Express the send speed seems to slow right down and evetaully I get the error message:-
An unknown error has occurred. Subject 'Fw:*****', Account: 'pop.virgin.net', Server: 'smtp.virgin.net', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '451 4.3.0 Error: queue file write error', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 451, Error Number: 0x800CCC6A

I have logged this fault with my ISP {its Virgin.net by the way} four times already but still they haven't offered any clues of a fix to the problem.

Has any one any idea what is causing this and is there anything I can do to cure it short of getting a new ISP ?

ICF 19:28 02 Jan 2008

Have you tried within outlook express Tools,accounts,properties,advanced,server time out and set it to 5 min's

wiz-king 19:29 02 Jan 2008

Some ISPs will not send large emails, you may have to send it in several chunks.
Go into OE tools/account/properties/connection and there is a box to split emails into smaller chunks, set this to <1mb and see if that speeds it up.

DieSse 19:47 02 Jan 2008

This is an interesting thread about this message - it seems to point the blame at virgin.

click here

samonty 18:32 03 Jan 2008

Thanks for the response guys I will try chopping it into smaller bits of 1Mb. Mind you the way Virgin have gone since they bought Telewest and became Virgin media I think it may be time to dump them .

mfletch 18:35 03 Jan 2008

Hi, You may also want to check your Email Scanner if you have one? that can slow the sending down as well

mfletch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?