Slow running DVD burner

suburban train 17:16 16 Dec 2006

HI All

I have a standard DVD ROM and a NEC DVD re-writer, 386 RAM and 900mhz celeron.

I am trying to copy from DVD to DVD using the fly on the wall feature within nero 7.

I have got a warning message saying it can only copy at 2X instead of 12xx speed beacuse the speed of the source data is to slow.

How can I speed this up? When I had my normal CD burner I had no problems.

rambus 18:01 16 Dec 2006

what speed are the dvd blank disc`s , it could be that they are only 2x, also copying a dvd is more resource hungry than copying a cd. you would get a better result if you upgraded your ram, provided you got faster dvd blank disc`s also your processor is not fast enough to burn at any where near 12x

rambus 18:04 16 Dec 2006

should have said that i have 512ram and a 1700amd procsser a nec burner and can only copy at 8x hope that this was of help.

suburban train 18:06 16 Dec 2006

Just checked the plastic cover and it says 2x multi speed , can you get faster DVD/RWs?

Also I have noticed that my wireless connection goes off when using the DVD burner would be to with the slow runnng CPU?

vinnyT 18:43 16 Dec 2006

It maybe that the two drives are connected on the same ide cable. This really slows the burning speed dramatically if you are copying dvd to dvd.

rambus 19:03 16 Dec 2006

suburban train,this is an excellant site where you can get all the differant formats and speeds of blank dvd, go to click here. by the way it is better not to do anything else while you are copying disc`s as the pc needs all its resorcess to give you a error free copy. suggest you try a 4x faster disc and see if thats any better.if the pc cannot write faster it will copy at 2x on a 4x disc.

suburban train 21:02 17 Dec 2006

hi all thanks for your responses, had alook at SVP website, I might start buying my blank media from there!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?