Slow running browsers

pjc1sr 15:36 05 Apr 2010

I have a problem with slow running browsers.

For info my system set up is

AMD Athlon 5200 processor - 2.70 Ghz
2gb RAM
80gb HDD
NVIDIA GeForce 9400GT
Windows Vista Home Premium
Bullguard 8.7 Antivirus / firewall

The problem is that web pages take an age to display completely so that the page is usable - it can take 20 seconds for a text-based page, nearly a minute if lots of pictures.

There is no issue with the broadband connection. Speed tests confirm this is OK, and other computers on our network work absolutely fine.

There are no obvious conflicts between my antivirus and Windows Defender / Firewall.

The problem occurs whatever browser I'm using - IE7, Firefox 3 or Chrome. All 3 have been uninstalled and reinstalled - with the same issue arising after reinstallation.

I don't game online to have a comparison there for performance. Kids use Windows Messenger Live and this appears to run up to speed.

I have also noticed that Physical Memory usage (taken from Task Manager) is often in the range 50-60%.

I wonder if something web-based is running in the background and thus slowing down browser use. Does anyone have any suggestions about this - or anything else that we could check?

Thank you

PC

Technotiger 15:50 05 Apr 2010

In Task Manager have a look under the Processes Tab to see what is using most of the CPU - you can ignore System Idle Process, which should be somewhere in the High 90's %.

Also a good idea to run scans with SuperAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?