Slow response from Googlemail

xania 12:20 15 Apr 2009

My wife's desktop PC has XP Pro SP3 and 1 Mb RAM & IE7. Yesterday her Googlemail started responding very slowly - for example over a minute to load and every action taking much longer to react. Only Googlemail affected - all other internet access and Outlook Expres working fine.
I have tried a safe load to see if anythong needs repairing and first time this stopped as it was loading the first driver, but then worked fine but no change to overall problem.
Unfortunately, I don't have a googlemail account - mine's gmail - so can't check, but as same problem today thought you guys might have some ideas for me to check.

splatter 15:44 15 Apr 2009

What browser are you using? If your using firefox you could install the googgears add in (click here) you should notice an improvement in speed that way.

As for whats causing the problem have you tried the usual routine of clearing the browser cache/tempfiles/cookies etc?

xania 16:09 15 Apr 2009

I would aggree with you if it wasn't for the fact that its only the one site that's causing all the problems. However, I'll be installing some malware security software this evening and I'll check this at the same time.

xania 16:10 15 Apr 2009

Browser is IE7 - not going to 8 yet.

xania 08:40 17 Apr 2009

Turns out it was Google itself causing the problem with its new version - swtich to the old version and system flies. Trouble is you cannot save this so each time you have to log on and wait until the system allows you to switch tot he old version. I will be contacting Google.

Sandy03 15:32 20 Apr 2009

Sorry that it's taken me a couple of days to get back to you..........busy days!!!
I am using IE7 too with GOOGLE as my home page - I have also deleted all cache and temp history files etc.
I have also removed all GOOGLE related toolbars, desktop icons and short cuts that I can see. I cannot see what else I can remove to rectify. The error is still appearing after boot up - and I am still being kicked out of applications for no reason.
I am not sure on the version I am using but know it not to be 'Chrome' so assume it's an older version.
I use MS outlook for my emails.
I did check the GOOGLE help desk for similar errors unfortunately they were only similar and not the same.
The error message appears before I open IE7 - it appears after boot up.
I would be grateful of any other suggestions.
Thank you.

xania 10:19 21 Apr 2009

Sandy03

I think you posted this on the wrong stream.

Sandy03 13:16 21 Apr 2009

Sorry Xania - I am very new to posting PC problems - I must have mis-understood you when you stated in my previous note - 'click here' which took me to this page and your wife's google problem.
Thanks anyway - I still have no joy - but I am working my way through the google helpdesk.
Regards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?