Slow PC with windows 8

yorky925 17:47 18 Aug 2014

My PC is extremely slow and I'm constantly getting the message "Program not responding" or " internet explorer has stopped working. I have tried all the recommended forms of cleaning the PC but non can find any problems

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:34 18 Aug 2014

what recommended methods?

type sfc /scannow

in the search box and press OK

let windows find and restore missing or corrupt windows files (note this will take awhile to complete and there is unlikely to be any completion message at the end).

yorky925 10:42 19 Aug 2014

I replied to the suggestions yesterday but it has not appeared on hear for some reason.,so i will repeat my reply. I am using windows 8 and have now checked speed as suggested,it is 20.54 downloading and 1.7 uploading though this does not tell me anything as I'm pretty much computer illiterate (my excuse being my age of 89).

Which search box do I type sfc/scannow into?

Pc cleaners tried are Microsoft safety scanner, Ccleaner synei system, etc

yorky925 10:50 19 Aug 2014

I replied to the suggestions yesterday but it has not appeared on hear for some reason.,so i will repeat my reply. I am using windows 8 and have now checked speed as suggested,it is 20.54 downloading and 1.7 uploading though this does not tell me anything as I'm pretty much computer illiterate (my excuse being my age of 89).

Which search box do I type sfc/scannow into?

Pc cleaners tried are Microsoft safety scanner, Ccleaner synei system, etc

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:15 19 Aug 2014

Press the start + X keys and release.

Select Command prompt(Admin) from the menu

In the elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

When the scan is complete, hopefully you will see an all is ok message

yorky925 19:13 20 Aug 2014

Thanks fruitbat and jock1e, I've tried all suggestions but still have the problems. Looks like a job for a PC engineer so had better start saving up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:20 20 Aug 2014

do a memory test

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?