Slow PC and System Restore not working

justjill 15:23 13 May 2008

My PC has been running seriously slow for a few weeks now. I tried removing unneccessary programs, doing a disk clean up and a defrag but it hasn't solved the problem so I thought I'd try a system restore but whenever I try it says 'restoration incomplete' and that it can't restore the PC to an earlier date. Also, there are no restore points before March this year despite the fact that I've had the PC for 2.5 years and have successfully used system restore before. I have checked and system restore IS enabled.

What can I do to a) sort out the system restore problem and b) speed up my PC?

I run Avast! so I shouldn't have a virus problem. I'd be really grateful if you could save me having to pay an expert to put it right!

brundle 16:05 13 May 2008

See Fruitbat's posts in this thread; click here

Avast has anti-spyware now but run a couple of others ; Superantispyware, SpywareTerminator click here, Spyware Doctor from the GooglePack recommended

birdface 16:53 13 May 2008

Try system restore in safe mode.Also run your Security programs when in there.Try that and if still slow.Try Winaso Optimizer free.This will only repair 10 items at a time but you computer should run faster after using it.click here

birdface 16:58 13 May 2008

What other Anti-Spyware programs do you have.And what firewall are you using..

justjill 19:47 13 May 2008

Thanks for that - lots of things to try there :)

buteman, I only use Spybot for anti-spyware as I read somewhere that anti-spyware programs are incompatible with each other - is that correct or should I have more? I'm using Zone Alarm as my firewall.

justjill 22:41 13 May 2008

Well, I've done everything you told me to do and I've lost an evening but the PC seems to be behaving much better now - thank you :)

brundle 22:48 13 May 2008

Spyware programs generally don't conflict, anti-virus programs do. Not quite as straightforward as that but that's a general rule of thumb.

birdface 06:42 14 May 2008

If you only have spybot I would download 1 more A Squared free is what I use but lots of freebies out there.If you are happy with Zone Alarm keep it.It was a bit complicated for my simple mind and got to the stage where I was not sure whether to allow programs or deny them so I switched to Kerio [free] No pop ups wanting you to allow or deny programs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?