Slow and not steady -2.8ghz dual-core

pj1664 20:31 05 Jun 2007

Hi all, I recently upgraded my daughter's aging computer pentium 3 1.4ghz to a dual core 2.8ghz 1GB ram. Everything seems ok apart from its really slow in loading up. desktop takes about 2 minutes to get going and when press the my computer icon a torch aperas and showas that its looking for a folder and that takes another 30-40 seconds before it locates my computer icons. Internet dont respose atraight away, once the address is typed it takes atleast a minute before the page is uploaded. I have run spyware on the computer and it keeps picking up lots of cookies. ( I am using webroot spyware).I keep puting these in quarintine but it does not help with the speed. Is ther anything else I could do to speed up the computer. P.S. I have run anti virus and nothing found.

brundle 20:34 05 Jun 2007

Go to start menu/run & type

control folders

press return

Click View, untick `Automatically search for network folders and printers`.

I am assuming the PC is not part of a network.

Any yellow or red warnings in device manager?

Also look for yellow or red warnings in the event log;

Start menu/run, type

eventvwr.msc

press return

sunny staines 20:54 05 Jun 2007

try the bios for an optimise setting

pj1664 21:07 05 Jun 2007

Hi brundle, thanks 4 your reply, is it worth doing what you suggest because its on a network. I am also going to try optimising the bios as suggested by sunny staines - will this actually create any other side effect to the pc? At this point i am willing to try anything.Thanks for the info.

woodchip 21:42 05 Jun 2007

You can look in event viewer at any time it may reveal what is taking so long to load

pj1664 21:50 05 Jun 2007

Hi woodchip, nice to hear from you again, now I have heard of event viewer... where do I find it? silly I know but I have gone blank, I have been trying to work this machine out for 2 days and can't find whats wrong with it. Can I delete prog. in the event viewer?

woodchip 21:54 05 Jun 2007

As I am on my Win98se Comp, I will try to guide you. you should be able to go to Control Panel\Services I think it's in there, Or Right Click My Computer then Manage or Services

brundle 22:39 05 Jun 2007

event log/viewer

Also look for yellow or red warnings in the event log;

Start menu/run, type

eventvwr.msc

press return

pj1664 17:39 06 Jun 2007

Ok there are afew red and yellow crosses and exclamation marks but it dosent really tell me anything - meaning its very brief a little confused leaset to say. What am I really looking for here, any perticular item that should highlight?

woodchip 17:41 06 Jun 2007

Try right ckick one it may tell you more

pj1664 17:51 06 Jun 2007

Thanks woodchip I will look into it, meanwhile as suggested by Sunny staines I optamised my BIOS setting, well it didnt work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?