Slow Network

ikle_pixie 17:15 13 Jan 2003
  ikle_pixie 17:15 13 Jan 2003

Right, created small computer consisting of 2 Windows XP computers....ones an AMD XP 2Ghz with 256Mb and a dial up internet connection and then other is an AMD Athlon 1.3 with 128Mb. A Netgear switch and wires that someone i was with made. They can see each other.

Now the 2Ghz is the server, when i tried to open a shared folder it was really slow and then most of the time would make the pc hang. Same with the other end i think, except i never had a proper go because i had to leave. Im going back tomorrow to sort it out...can anyone give me any pointers to whats going on.

I used the wizard, im going back to share the printers too.

Is it true that you dont matter what order you put the wires into the RJ45 plugs as long as they are then same both ends..i didnt do this, but its just a query.

HELP!!

Cheers

jazzypop 17:29 13 Jan 2003

Hmmmm - I would double-check the cable, very carefully. It only takes a small nick inthe insulation, or a severte twist or bend, or a slighly poor crimp, to create the problems you describe.

click here for a very good explanation of how to make a cable properly.

ikle_pixie 17:36 13 Jan 2003

ah...im wondering whether my mate has a made a crossover cable...aint too sure though...but what would happen if it was the same layout as a cross over...but the same at both ends

jazzypop 17:45 13 Jan 2003

Read the link I gave you - if it is the same at both ends, it's a straight-through (which you want), not a crossover.

ikle_pixie 00:41 14 Jan 2003

so if the cable is bent or twisted does that mean i have to make a whole new wire or is there a way to repair it?

Smuggler 01:04 14 Jan 2003

Just another thing to note is that with some cat5 cable the length can make a difference even though you might be within the tolerances. the shorter the better. thats assuming the 2 comps are some distance apart

DieSse 01:06 14 Jan 2003

Yes it does matter what order you put the wires in. The wires are twisted pairs, and are designed to be used in a particular configuration to avoid crosstalk (interference) between signals. The standard colour schema eunsures that they are used correctly.

ikle_pixie 01:50 14 Jan 2003

As in...

(white/orange)(orange)(white/green)(blue)(white/blue)(green)(white/brown)(brown)?

DieSse 01:53 14 Jan 2003

Yup.....

ikle_pixie 01:54 14 Jan 2003

or is it(white/green)(green)(white/orange)(blue)(white/blue)(orange)(white/brown)(brown)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache