Alienware 17 R4 2017 review
My MESH PC is 1.5 years old and running Windows XP (SP1). The hardware is AMD Athlon 2000 processor with 256Mb RAM and 40Gb
hard disk. The PC is regularly checked for errors and defragged monthly. The PC is regularly virus checked (TrendMicro
PC-Cillin) and updated plus firewalled (Zone Alarm). It is also regularly updated via Windows Update.
The problem is slow opening applications. From clicking it takes around 10-15 seconds to open any app. There is much hard
disk activity while I'm waiting. Once the app has loaded they seem to work fine and speedily (although Word sometimes has a
5-10 second delay between appearing and the cursor beginning to flash!)
Even closing and immediately reopening an app does not always increase it's load speed. If I try this open/close upwards of 7
times then the app will open almost instantaneously.
Even when I add new programs they all take 12 seconds or so to load the very first time and subsequently.
I have tried shutting down all startup options leaving nothing in the system tray except the time and volume but this makes
no difference to the loading time of apps
I try and keep the PC well tuned and tidy but this last problem of slow apps is causing grief. I cant say when I first
noticed this problem but I dont believe it's always been this way. On other less powerful PCs I've had load speeds of 1-4
seconds with MS Office.
I dont believe the spec of my system should give rise to this slowness (although maybe I'm wrong...am I expecting too much?))
Some things I have already checked/tried and made no difference:
1 - I've checked PAGING and this is managed by the PC (at 383Mb)
2 - I let the PC choose best PERFORMANCE
3 - I use REGCLEANR to tidy the registry now and again
I'm running out of ideas so can anyone help me.
Quick reply for now if all is well as you say.
Clear our your Prefetch Folder, and if your system is stable, disable the system restore then reactivate.Install a new stick of Ram, would make life good.Your PAGING may drop by 50%.
I tried JIM's Prefetch idea and the system restore activate/deactivate and it looked like it had done the trick. However, my victory march was halted after a reboot when it went back to its old ways. I again cleared out the Prefetch and this did improve things but then they slowed up again. It looks like an empty Prefetch speeds things up for me (I believe this is the opposite intention of XP!). I will try and add another 256Mb to see if it helps but I still welcome any other thoughts/ideas/opinions.
This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.