Slow Laptop - Unable to Restore & virus checked?

Will 13:24 11 May 2007

I have a HP Lpatop (HP Pavilion) AMD 64 Moblie, 1.79 gig, 512 Ram XP Home SP2.
It has started to run slow. I have recently ripped a lot of my CD music to the computer and it has been online for the first time in months (I work on Ships and don't have access). I have virus checked with Norton with no result. I chedcked on previous posts for the same problem and have tried to restore the system to before I left ship but it wouldn't do it I then tried to restore to a more reent point with the same result. Does anybody have any idea what might be happening or what I can investigate further. Also how do I control what is activated at start up? Messenger comes on to my screen at start up and before I had problems it didn't do this.

birdface 13:32 11 May 2007

Messenger,Tools Options,General.Untick Automatically run messenger at start up Apply ok.

birdface 13:39 11 May 2007

Start Run,type msconfig ok,Start up programs top left,You can untick most but keep your anti-virus and firewall,Apply ok, reboot,When rebooted a box will appear tick the little square and press ok.

birdface 13:40 11 May 2007

I should have said top right for start up programs.

birdface 13:43 11 May 2007

You don't mention if you have any Anti-Spyware programs.If not download A Squared update it and do a full scan.

matofthemint 13:52 11 May 2007

If you can't restore, you might try SysRestoreCalendar at click here

Will 13:57 11 May 2007

Thanks so far guys, got rid of the messenger problem.
Any ideas why it won't go to the restore point?

Will 14:05 11 May 2007

Each action seems to be getting slower. It won't seem to multi task and can only deal with one program at a time. It needs tweaking any good progs out there for this. Years ago I had the same sort of symptoms with a machine I was running WD98 on and it would say "Stack Overflow", it turned out the motherboard was knackered!

setecio 14:24 11 May 2007

Could it just be downloading alot of windows updates and other updates?

Press ctrl-alt-del once to bring up task manager - processes - click on cpu column header once and twice, are there any processes taking up alot of CPU usage. If svchost is taking up alot try disabling windows updates.

dukeboxhero 14:31 11 May 2007

have to you tried system restore in safe mode? tap f8 when starting comp then try restore

Will 14:32 11 May 2007

thanks for your efforts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?