slow internet speeds

kalignorgna 11:12 20 Sep 2009

hi guys having a bit of a problem at the mo, my internet speeds always been a bit rubbish even tough I’m supposed to get 8Mbps i tend to get 1.5Mbps however the last two days I have be getting around 70Kbps I have rang up the ISP and they have ran a speed test and said "every thing is ok from there end" but the speed hasn't increased at all. I know the may be a problem with the line but I have to wait 24hr before getting to do anything about it. I read a PCA news article about BT giving away a free BT accelerator and have checked that it is compatible with the box I have and would like to hear from anyone who has used one so i can get an idea of what to expect before getting it. I’m hopping that this may help with my speed problem without the need to pay £60 to BT any help would be helpful also any info on how to test the line myself and save me the cost of an engineer

BurrWalnut 09:16 22 Sep 2009

As far as I know removing all the internal wires except numbers 2 and 5, does exactly the same as the BT accelerator.

Other ways to speed up the internet connection are:
1. These two registry key changes will make web pages display slightly quicker as the number of simultaneous downloads is increased. Backup the registry in Windows 98 or create a system restore point in XP, Vista and Windows 7.

In a Run window (Windows key+R), type regedit, press Enter and navigate to registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\InternetSettings
Look for two keys in the right pane, MaxConnectionsPerServer and MaxConnectionsPer1_0Server. If they exist, then right-click on each in turn and Modify the value to decimal 10 (hex a).

If the strings don't exist in the right pane, they will need to be added manually. To add the two keys, right-click in the white space in the right pane, select New > DWORD Value, type the first name as the string name, press Enter and then repeat the procedure for the second one. Now modify the values to decimal 10 (hex a).

As the registry key is a CURRENT_USER one, the change needs to be done for each user of the computer.

2. Turn off 'RSS Feeds' by going to Internet Options > Content Tab > Feeds and Web Slices > Settings and uncheck Automatically check feeds for updates.

3. If Internet Explorer is running slowly, you may be running too many add-ons. In Internet Explorer, go to Tools > Manage add-ons’ then disable any unnecessary add-ons.

4. Reregister a dll, i.e. in a Run window (Windows key+R), type regsvr32 actxprxy.dll (note the space) and press Enter.

kalignorgna 12:20 22 Sep 2009

the problem is not with IE or any browser runing slowley the problem is with the internet conection speed which went down from 1.5MBps to 70Mbps at the weekend so changing the options in internet options will not help since the main problem is the time it takes to download things (i download a lot of games and game updates).

will try the regedit but I don't think it will make much of a diffrence. Im also going to try some diffrent cables and see if i get a better conection speed.

i would like to know more about "As far as I know removing all the internal wires except numbers 2 and 5, does exactly the same as the BT accelerator." and how to do this.

kalignorgna 12:24 22 Sep 2009

oh forgot to say that the game downloads are mostley from steam so i don't need an Internet browser for the download

BurrWalnut 13:39 22 Sep 2009

I’ll repeat it again but put it a different way.

Most, or certainly a substantial number of internal telephone connections use an unnecessary ‘bell wire‘. In reality only 2 wires are required; those numbered 2 and 5. It doesn’t matter what colours are used as long as 2 is always the same, e.g. mostly blue and a different colour is used for number 5. Note that here I’m talking about a standard telephone line with 2 sockets, running a broadband VOIP wireless router, I know nothing about Sky and the like, so I cannot comment on whether it would work or not.

All you need to do is to go round to each socket in the house and pull out everything except 2 and 5, checking that all the 2s are the same colour and the 5s are the same but a different colour.

When I did this, my average speed increased by more than 30%. It is nowhere near the router’s expectation speed of 5Mbps but it’s considerably better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache