slow internet speed

budsowna 18:54 07 Jun 2007

i'm getting frustrated with the speed of my internet connection, i don't know how to check the actual speed to post it up here but downloads are slow and streaming videos (you tube etc) can take ages.

i've just bought a Netgear DG834GT modem/router and have set it up using an ethernet cable from the main phone line but this setup doesn't seem to be any faster than my old speedtouch 330 modem (sometimes slower!)

my isp is orange unlimited (8Mb) could moving isp's help. a couple of mates are with AOL platinum and have no trouble at all, they can download a 1Gb file in about half an hour they tell me!

my pc isn't slow
running Vista home premuim
Intel core duo 6320
2Gb RAM

any help for a pc thicko would be appreciated, thanks

click here
get the speeds,so you can speak to orange with your results

budsowna 22:32 07 Jun 2007

i can't use the speed tester, it won't let me install java!

i used another speed tester the other day (can't remember which one) and the results were download speed 6188kbps, upload speed 247kbps. does that make any sense to anybody?

web pages take as long as a dial up connection sometimes. i've run spyware doctor and done a full scan with norton (it's all i could think of!)

Aargh 13:46 08 Jun 2007

click here
click here
click here

The above three speed testers will all give you different results!

If you have a download speed of 6188kps, thats pretty quick by most standards on an 8mb connection!

It sounds more like your pc is configured to run several processes at once, all of which will slow down the way your browser opens/handles web pages.

Have a good cleanout and disable anything you don't need running in the background.

budsowna 14:36 08 Jun 2007

i've used tune-up utilities and it seems to have speeded things up a bit, i didn't think i'd have collected that much rubbish already, i only built my new pc about 6 weeks ago!

would changing isp's help? before i got my router the connection would keep dropping with the old speedtouch 330 which makes me think orange aren't that good anyway? a mate has got aol platinum and has never had any speed issues or problems

Dipso 23:19 08 Jun 2007

As Aargh says your speed test results are very good but if you are asking if they are any good as an ISP check out this click here

budsowna 09:37 09 Jun 2007

thanks for that clicky Dipso, very helpfull!

budsowna 22:50 13 Jun 2007

it speeded up for a couple of days after upgrading the firmware for the router (i think)

a mate has no trouble at all with AOL platinum and my pc's a damn sight faster than his with more or less the same router/internet setup, except i'm on orange & he's on AOL

joten 14:52 14 Jun 2007

go to pc pitstop they run a free test on your comp and can give you some changes that will change the windows default settings for Tcip i think but the results will help as i had a similar problem ? why no java have you checked you have it switched on

budsowna 20:18 14 Jun 2007

it won't even go to the java download screen, i'm blaming vista again!

Dipso 20:18 05 Dec 2007

Spam reported.

DIY click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?