Slow internet access

RKMonty 20:55 02 Nov 2008

Since a week or two ago my internet access has slowed down a lot I have noticed that my 'a' Avast icon (I have Avast 4.8) on my toolbar constantly turns and it takes ages to refresh or get an internet page. I have also noticed that when I close a Window all of my on screen icons go and then gradually reappear on the screen I have not installed any new programs apart from Windows XP updates Any ideas of why my internet connection show be so slow now or maybe should I get another antivirus ? Thanks for any ideas

birdface 21:00 02 Nov 2008

Is your ISP Virgin.Lots of folk having problems with Microsoft's Last crucial update.

bobbybluenose 21:07 02 Nov 2008

try looking at thisclick here

RKMonty 21:33 02 Nov 2008

Hi buteman
Yes my ISP is Virgin........and is the Microsoft crucial update necessary ?
Any advice as my pc is soooooooooooo slow Thanks

birdface 21:38 02 Nov 2008

click here Lots of different threads about with the same sort of problems.You might find something on this.or maybe Phone Virgin and see if they can help.

Stuartli 21:42 02 Nov 2008

Click on the Avast! icon and check out the configuration for each process.

woodchip 21:45 02 Nov 2008

Avast Icon normally only turns when its self updating, are you having problems with your ISP connection?

birdface 21:48 02 Nov 2008

Everyone having different problems with it.May be better just searching the recent threads on PCA and see if you can find someone with the same problem.Maybe try an System restore to a date before the Microsoft update.

RKMonty 21:48 02 Nov 2008

Have checked each of my configurations which are ok I believe.
My ISP connection is ok but just very slow....the Avast Icon seems to turn on when I try and access a Internet site....never used to do that much as you say maybe when it was looking for an update Now it turns on lots !! Any ideas ?

woodchip 21:48 02 Nov 2008

Try turning Router of with button or switch at the back of the router then restart it after 30 seconds

birdface 22:13 02 Nov 2008

Or try running Firefox until things get better.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone