slow internet

dawnal 18:51 18 Apr 2010

It takes several minutes for web pages to open in my browser. I've tried I.E. Firefox and Opera. They all perform very slowly. I have Sky broadband and another PC using the same router. One computer is running Windows 7 and has 3GB RAM. The other, the slow one, is running WindowsXP and has 1GB RAM. This problem has only just started happening over the last couple of weeks. Previously I didn't have any problems accessing the Internet.
Can suggest what might be wrong?
Thanks,
Al

rdave13 18:55 18 Apr 2010

Check to see what speed you are getting; click here

click here

mooly 19:25 18 Apr 2010

XP and 1gb is fine.
Might be worth checking for malware and also have a look in task manager to see if any processes are "hogging" the CPU

click here

and recommended by many on here,
click here

dawnal 19:33 18 Apr 2010

Thanks for the link rdave. Unfortunately, it didn't work. When I tried it a popup appeared saying "Testing Latency" That was as far as it got. I waited ten minutes, which seems a long time, but nothing happened. I've just checked again and its still in the same position. I don't understand why this should be happening on just one of the computers using the same router. The other one works perfectly well and accesses web sites in seconds. This one takes minutes and sometimes won't access a site at all. It doesn't seem to be the connection speed or both would be the same, wouldn't they?

Thanks for the link rdave. Unfortunately, it didn't work. When I tried it a popup appeared saying "Testing Latency" That was as far as it got. I waited ten minutes, which seems a long time, but nothing happened. I've just checked again and its still in the same position. I don't understand why this should be happening on just one of the computers using the same router. The other one works perfectly well and accesses web sites in seconds. This one takes minutes and sometimes won't access a site at all. It doesn't seem to be the connection speed or both would be the same, wouldn't they?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?