Slow Internet

la la 13:10 01 Feb 2009

Does anyone have an answer as to why the internet is so slow at the moment ?
This morning could not access my e-mails properly in Outlook Express.The first message kept coming up over and over again and the second would not download at all.
My messages sometimes go to Yahoo Mail but could not access that either. Eventually did manage to get on to Yahoo Mail - found two messages in the Inbox and when I opened them it freed up my Outlook Express and they appeared in there.
All the time the Internet is running so slowly and even if I can get on to a site am not able to navigate round it hardly if at all.
Can I do anything about this at all or do I just have to put up with it ?

MAT ALAN 13:22 01 Feb 2009

A profile of your set up your service provider and how you connect would help us maybe identify your issues, It maybe your service provider having problems it could be housekeeping issues with your PC it could be Spy/malware...

birdface 14:15 01 Feb 2009

Try TaskManager and see if any programs using up the CPU that should not be.If nothing running system idle process should be showing about 97% this is about normal.Or try. Run.Type. msconfig go into start up and see if there are any programs there that should not be.If so untick them.Maybe go into safe mode and run your security programs or maybe even a system restore while in there to a date when computer was working Ok.I suppose it could be Microsoft trying to run the latest Net Framework update without success,maybe try turning Microsoft Automatic Updates off and see if that helps.
Or device manager and make sure that there are no yellow exclamation marks at any of your devices.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017