Slow IE7 Problem Solved...

Graphicool1 15:40 06 Sep 2010

WinXP SP3 IE7

IE7 has been getting slower and slower of late. Web sites just didn't want to load. Using the mouse scroll wheel was a torture, slow to the point of not moving at all and when it did it was jerky. YouTube video's were slow to load and/or play, to the point of ceasing to play altogether after they reached about half way. I've been scouring the Net for a solution and I've just found the answer. No not uninstall IE7 and choose something different. I know that would have been the easy route. But I also run Firefox and although that too has issues, like being slow to start up. But once it does it run well, better than IE7 did. That is till now, now I've made the tweak, IE7 performs like a professional ice skater sliding smooth. All the negatives have become positives.

It was of course a security issue and as such some of you might bulk at making the adjustment. However, it's just a couple of clicks, so you can easily switch it back if you feel the need.

Since I turned off the 'Phishing Filter' IE7 has become a greyhound. There are other free programmes out there that will tell you what sites are iffy.

>Tools
>Internet Options
>Advanced tab

scroll down the list till you see the reference to the 'Phishing Filter' and click the box next to 'Disable Phishing Filter'
Click 'Apply' then 'Ok'
You may have to turn off IE7 then back on and I'm sure like me you'll notice the changes right away.

provider 2 16:04 06 Sep 2010

It seems to work well enough on IE 8 as far as I can tell.

It`s effective too, apparently: click here

fullyfitted 17:25 06 Sep 2010

Graphicool1,
Many thanks, my problems were minor compared to yours but I've certainly noticed an improvement.

Don't know is it's significant but I did see a yellow question mark next to plishing filter.Still there after restart of OE 7. Will check ater I reboot.

fullyfitted 17:25 06 Sep 2010

Ater ?
try after

Graphicool1 09:46 07 Sep 2010

Thanx for your concern, but there are many issues here. For one I'm not a member and would never be a member of Facebook, or any such web site.

Second I don't believe any missive, notification or the like either from or preporting to be from Facebook.

That out of the way, three as said I use IE7, because apart from a few minor wrinkles I like it. As you know I have tried and didn't get on with IE8.

Four, IE8 still has many issues of it's own that would need to be addressed before I try it again.

Five, as for now IE7 is sorted, so why would I want to? Sure it's had many ups and down's, but so far - with a little help from my PCA friends - I've managed to over come them.

Everyone must realise that just like a car a PC starts to depreciate as soon as you've signed the cheque. Well in the case of my PC that was in the dark ages. Long before wide, flat screen monitors and quad processors. But like everything on and in it, while it's still fighting and patchable I'll stick by it. As long as it can do what I want it to do, when I want it to do it, I'll keep it.

As an aside, I still have a Win95 that purrs like a cat and performs like a dream. I also have an olde worlde PC that was destined for the skip. I put WinXP on it and yes it's slow but fast enough for storage.

*fullyfitted*
Interesting, it must be something to do with Windows 7. I have the Phishing Filter's open eye, with an archetypal symbol of a red circle and a diagonal red line. This is covering part of the eye. My guess is that they mean the same, trying to draw our attention to the fact that it isn't working.
Good browsing ¦¬) G1

Graphicool1 09:50 07 Sep 2010

I'll leave this open for a few days, in case anyone wants to add a comment or three. ¦¬) G1

provider 2 10:40 07 Sep 2010

Your choice, of course, and that`s as it should be but I`m inclined to go with the idea that updating for security reasons is a good idea, especially in respect of Ms browsers which are notoriously prone to attack from all and sundry.

No, I`m not a fan of social networking sites either. However, this phishing filter is designed to alert you to suspected fraudulent sites whatever the the source of the URL. Whether or not it does this any more efficiently than other site advisers, I`m not too sure. I`ve never actually seen the whole-red-page warning.

I seem to remember that when IE 7 was first introduced, there were plenty of complaints about the phishing filter slowing it down. The fix then, was to disable it, which I think many people did and then more or less forgot about it. I was, of course, curious to see that it was only now causing noticeable slow-downs on your system.

Whether or not they ever got around to fixing it for IE 7, I don`t know, perhaps because IE 8 was already in sight, where it has been improved and renamed SmartScreen Filter, though I don`t think it`s enabled by default.

I suspect I will be in the same position as you when it comes to IE 9 which, I understand, will not be compatible with XP, though that looks like a marketing ploy to encourage users to upgrade to W7. I rather think it will drive even more luddite XP users to switch to Firefox, however, and use IE 8 only for access to certain Ms sites.

Apologies for the brevity of my initial response ...

Graphicool1 12:03 07 Sep 2010

...I update too and not just for security reasons. If there are drivers and/or add on's that will help to make my system perform better I'm all for them. They are the patches I was referring to in my last post.

What I'm not happy with is being told or feeling obliged to get the next/latest, more efficient, more secure updated version of everything. Because as we all know where MS is concerned nomatter what they say, everything they bring out is buggy and has more holes than Swiss cheese and remains so till their latest and greatest, all singing, all dancing new one! Which with use, by us poor dumb plebs, as usual turn out to be just another pile of dung as the last one.

As for Facebook and the like, while the poor sado' wannabe's are 'Social Networking' whilst thinking that they are becoming best friends with the rich and famous. Facebook and Co, are 'Data Mining'.

Regarding an WinXP IE7 Phishing Fix, one was released and WinXP IE7 users were encouraged to use it, if they were experiencing high CPU usage while browsing. But that was way back in 2007. I am uncertain if at that time I actually installed it. But even if I had it wouldn't have made any difference in the long term, because since then I've reinstalled Windows. So any memory of a go faster, update patch for IE7, is lost in the mists of time. Although thanx for jogging my mind on this, I'll look it up and perhaps give it a go. It was also apparently aimed at Vista IE7 users too. Why was it offered as a seperate rather than being included in a Service Pack?

I use Firefox as well as IE7, although IE7 is still my default browser. The reason I haven't dropped IE7 in favour of FF is because FF is very slow to start up. Once up and running though it's excellent. It's slow start is the main FF user gripe on the Web. ¦¬) G1

Graphicool1 12:28 07 Sep 2010

What MS say...

Security update information:
To resolve this problem, install the most current cumulative security update for IE7.
(I have ALL updates)

This is the MS work round, or as I prefer to call it, a cop out...

To work around this problem, follow these steps:
(1) Start Internet Explorer 7.
(2) On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
(3) Click the Advanced tab, and then click
(4) Disable Phishing Filter in the Settings list.
(5) Click Apply, and then click OK.
(6) Restart Internet Explorer 7.

Graphicool1 14:11 07 Sep 2010

Even though I have disabled phishing for IE7 I am stll getting warning's regarding the suitability or not of some Web sites!

Graphicool1 14:22 07 Sep 2010

It isn't really a mystery, because as I said at the start of this thread, even if you turn off IE7's own Phishing software you don't have to leave yourself or your PC without security of this type. I use McAfee for this purpose only.

In all the time I've used IE7 Phishing, never once did I receive a warning from them about any Website. But I've received hundreds from McAfee.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?