slow icons opening up in windows explorer

Kingfisher 17:25 19 Oct 2006

reference to my earlier posting it seems that all programs are slow to boot into ram, but ok once they are open, so something is slowiing my pc down, I have got over 6000mb of ram free and tried running programs after disabling norton, but still slow, have run sfc,chkdsk,disk cleanup, emptied temp folders, dont know what eles it could be, can I do a windows xp repair without losing programs and data etc, any ideas would be appreciated

anskyber 17:53 19 Oct 2006

Is it worth doing a system restore first?

anskyber 17:58 19 Oct 2006

I have not used this I should say straightawy but it may help. click here=

Kingfisher 18:22 19 Oct 2006

rather worringly it will not let me restore to an earlier date even though there are system checkpoints listed,anyone no why?, thanks for the link anskyber will give it a look

birdface 07:53 20 Oct 2006

Update all your anti-virus. Spyware. Malware programs,Then go into safe mode and run them.Also do a defrag, if you have not done it yet.Or maybe you have to many programs running at start up.Just checked mine I have 6 running,If not sure how to check. Start, Run, type in msconfig ok. Top right hand side open start up.This will tell you how many programs start.If anything on there that you do not need to start,Untick it.If not sure,Ask,Do not untick anything you are unsure of,As some of them are needed to run your computer.If there is nothing to untick, Just press the cancel button at the bottom.If you have unticked any boxes, When you restart computer, a box will open up, Just put a tick in the box on the left hand side.

Kingfisher 14:20 23 Oct 2006

Sorry A bit late with reply, just to say thanks anskyber, for the link to the site showing how to carry out a repair to xp without losing your data, I tried it and it worked system now up and running.This problem was created by Norton 2007, and I will never buy another Norton product it totally trashed my pc, now have got avg 7.5 on trial it seems ok, thanks again for all your advice

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?