slow games response

chukie 22:25 12 Feb 2007

can any body help a total novice?
when i try to run colin mcrae 2005,the car respond a second or so later. i have- 512 ram, 160 harddrive, 3.06ghz processor, Nvidia geforce 7300turbocache graphics card [256mb]. i am also useing saitek p2600rumble controler. there is other games that just won`t play.

think you need to double your ram, when you press ctrl + alt + del how many processes are you running and what % is cpu running at?

bennyhillslovechild 22:29 12 Feb 2007

The 7300turbocache is the problem. It's a very weak graphics card that 'borrows' from the system memory to add to the frame rate, but really is not that suitable for games. Try lowering resolution and detail settings a bit, see if that speeds things up.

Totally-braindead 23:14 12 Feb 2007

I would agree that the graphics card may well be the problem. Also check the games website for patches and support. A lot of games have problems with particular graphics cards.
As adman2 has suggested there could also be a lot of programs running in the background, anything running in the background will use some resources and diabling the ones you don't need may speed things up considerably.

my n vid 6150le used to run all my games at standard settings, but needed 1 gb ram to avoid slowdown

chukie 21:34 13 Feb 2007

Thanks to all who replyed to my question. In reply adman 2`s question, I have 57 processors running & 2% cpu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone