Slow Firefox 3

Billawa 17:52 09 Jul 2008

Having installed FF3 successfully I now find that after my homepage (Orange) displays entering a new URL and hitting Enter produces a long wait befroe the page required appears. Once there any clicking within the page happens quickly as normal. Entering another URL repeats the delay in getting to it.

Is this due to FF3 still not being the final version, antivirus programme, firewall or something on my computer. Running Win XP Home and Service packs?

Bob The Blob 18:05 09 Jul 2008

turn off/disable or uninstall the avg link scanner in firefox/addons

Billawa 10:51 10 Jul 2008

Thanks for the suggestion but I am not running AVG anywhere on my computer. Looking at the "Add ons" tab in FF I can see no reference to any AVG addon. If it is there is it hidden somewhere so that it has been installed without my knowledge?

Stuartli 10:56 10 Jul 2008

Firefox 3.0 is in its final version, with 3.0.1 in the wings.

I find, as with previous versions, FF takes a few seconds to initially fire up, but then is probably slightly faster than before even with additional windows or tabs open.

Billawa 11:39 10 Jul 2008

I have looked again at the "add ons" tab and disabled the "Mozilla default" plug in plus Shockwave Flash, RealPlayer Live connect, RealJukebox, M/soft DRM, Java (TM) platform and Itunes application detector. Now everything seem to be working at the proper speed. I know I have committed the crime of not disabling one at a time but whatever was causing the problem has disappeared. Thanks for your suggestions and interest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone