slow d/l speed solved! but.........

koolherc 14:34 07 Feb 2009

after numerous speedtests,router tweaking etc
connected my Netgear DG834G wireless router to my main phone socket.

My downstream increased drammatically:

28488kps downstream compared to 160kps on phone extension in other room. This is with micro filter boxes all connected.

My only solution I can think on is to keep router connected to my main socket and get ethernet cable extension running to P.C as my phone extension in other room cant carry the speeds!

Anyone else having similar problem? offer any advice?

Thanks!

mgmcc 20:00 07 Feb 2009

If the router has to be plugged into the main phone socket, which is located remotely from the PC, can you not connect to the router "wirelessly" instead of running a long ethernet cable?

koolherc 20:18 07 Feb 2009

I could look at doing it wirelessly to P.C though already running a laptop wirelessly to the Netgear router. Have had lot of ppl saying that wired ethernet is better for high speeds.

Was wondering as I am now gettin a far faster downstream, will it take the router time to adjust to high speed connection??

mgmcc 20:30 07 Feb 2009

The nominal data transfer speed of an 802.11g wireless network is 54Mbps, although in practice this is likely to be closer to 30Mbps. Even so, this is considerably faster than the speed of your ADSL internet connection, so using a wireless connection shouldn't have an adverse effect on your download speeds.

Obviously a wired connection can be more reliable than a wireless one, but if you have a strong signal and a good connection with wireless, that's the way to go to sort the location problem.

Switcher 20:36 07 Feb 2009

Why not run a long ethernet cable from socket and leave router beside PC see this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?