slow connection speed to internet

perry watkins 13:25 01 Jan 2003
  perry watkins 13:25 01 Jan 2003

My Pc will only connect at 20 kbps but if I unplug my digital cordless phone then connection speed increases to 44 kbps, this is the only phone in the house that seems to affect the connection speed - why?
Is there any way that when I connect to the net the pc can automaticaly isolate it's connection from the other phones in the house?
cheers
Perry

Forum Editor 13:46 01 Jan 2003

such as fax machines, and cordless phones that are plugged into the phone line continually send a small 'ident' signal down the line. This can interfere with internet connections, and I have seen it happen on many occasions.

You have proved the point by unplugging the phone and seeing the resultant increase in connection speed - so you've answered your own question really.

The modem uses the phone line, and can't 'isolate' itself on the line in the way you suggest. As far as the phone line is concerned the modem is just another phone.

Stuartli 19:53 01 Jan 2003

Don't know if this may help (whilst appreciating the FE's analysis), but my son gave me a telephone double adapter - one of those that you plug into a socket and can run two phones off or a phone and a modem.

The difference in this case is that the adapter has a special circuit, so that if the modem is in use, picking up a phone and trying to dial doesn't unexpectedly disconnet the modem and vice virsa.

In fact I stopped using this adapter not because it didn't work, but because it allowed only the main cordless phone to be used; the two extensions were absolutely dead; previously you could have voice conferencing on all three phones with just a slight loss of volume for each.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Android Oreo News: Release Date & New Features

11 must-have iMessage stickers packs by Jean Jullian, Christoph Niemann, Jon Burgerman & more

iMac 21.5-inch (2017) review

Que faire en cas de vol ou perte de votre smartphone ?