Slow computer - what memory do I need

Jug Ears 12:35 02 Dec 2008

I have an Advent T9317. When I use the internet I use a number of different browser windows at the same time this tends to slow my computer down too much. What kind of memory do I need to improve this situation? Is it ROM or RAM? Given the computer I use would it be better to get a new one with superior memory or can I just add to the exiting one to solve this problem?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

John

ambra4 12:46 02 Dec 2008

Just go to Crucial and do a scan it will tell you what memory you need

click here

Rahere 15:24 02 Dec 2008

As far as I can tell your PC has 1 Gb RAM see click here but you can check this in the control panel under system icon.

Speed on your PC should be OK with 1 gb if it's XP but on Vista you need more like 2-4 Gb. You should make sure your browser caches are cleaned out regularly - use ccleaner click here

Other programs running at the same time will gradually slow your PC - check what is running at startup - antivirus and other programs all contribute.

Also what browser are you using - some are faster than others - I use Opera click here which seems to be more memory efficient and faster than IE or Firefox - the latter can really drag a PC down sometimes. Most broswers now use tabs rather than separate windows which could be more resource efficient.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?