slow computer

mrs room top 11:44 26 Aug 2009

My computer is as follows:
512 mb memory, 160 gb hard drive.
Windows xp home edition
AMD athalon 64. 3000+
It is 5 yrs old.

I am having major problems with the computer being slow, not closing down and starting up correctly. Would buying extra ram cure everything or would just buying a new computer be cheaper in the long term. I have defragged etc. nothing helps.

MrNewName 11:48 26 Aug 2009

Another 512mb/ 1GB RAM and a clean install of XP would be a good starting point.

Be sure not to run too many background applications.

RobCharles1981 11:51 26 Aug 2009

Use The Search Forum Its been answered before.

mrs room top 11:59 26 Aug 2009

Thank you for that will try

birdface 12:19 26 Aug 2009

Check the air vents at the back are not covered with Dust and fluff if so inside will need cleaning out.Maybe give it a defrag.
I have an old Tiny Computer may be the same make as yours added 2Mb of memory and did not make a lot of difference,
maybe download Driver Max and run a scan it will tell you what drivers are needing updated just go to the makers sites and download from there.
Make sure it is in DMA mode and not PIO.
What security programs do you have including Firewall.Sometimes downloading updating and running malwarebytes free will find some hidden Trojans.And give C Cleaner a run.If you want to know anything about your computer download SIW that will tell you most of the things that you need to know.

john bunyan 12:27 26 Aug 2009

Do you run CCleaner regularly? (Including registry cleaner part) Too many stored cookies etc can slow the PC. Also do tou regularly run anti spyware programmes - Malawarebites and Superantispyware, for example? _ I have just read buteman and agree.

mrs room top 17:56 26 Aug 2009

Thanks once again, have defrag - no differance. will try spyware etc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?