Slow computer

Hazzar 11:31 29 May 2004

My system is built on a pc266 motherboard,AMD Athlon 1300, 6gb hard drive, 500mb sdram memory,
running Wins. 2000.
Problem. I would not say this system is slow but I have noticed that it is slower at opening
programmes than my works computer which is a rather old Dell using an Intel 2, 64mb memory,Wins. 2000.Why is this? Would changing the hard drive to a 7000+rpm, larger capacity help?
Also if I were to reinstall Wins. 2000 do I use Fat 32,Fat64 or the other choice available which I have forgotten?
Thanks.
Tony.

rawprawn 11:35 29 May 2004

First have you done all the usual things to speed it up, Defrag,see what is starting and running all the time, clean temp files etc

Hazzar 11:48 29 May 2004

Rawprawn,
Done a defrag,How do I find running programmes and which are safe to turn off,
in fact why do they run in the first place if I do not need them?
Hazzer

VoG II 12:47 29 May 2004

Download Msconfig for W2K click here and run it. Look what is listed on the Startup tab and untick any you don't want. Be careful not to disable anti-virus etc.

If you are unsure what particular startup entries are click here

rawprawn 13:24 29 May 2004

Follow VOG's advice,a lot of software is programmed to muscle in on the start menu, and you can do without most of it loading. Don't worry about any that you stop, you will not lose them it's just that they won't load at start up.

TomJerry 13:59 29 May 2004

Maybe you are short of space for Swap file.

It is not a good idea to compare work pc and home pc. Because work PCs are normally clean, i.e. only essential software etc are installed and noone try any games etc on them (theoretically). As for home PCs, many many stuff have been installed (maybe uninsatlled but leave some trace) and many games and magzine free bee tried. So, home PC are normaaly buggy. A few things to try.

(1) Remove/disconnect any unnecessary hardware components.

(2) Check if all drives are working properly, i.e. not yellow "!".

(3) Check no spyware using Spybot click here

(4) Stop any necessary programs to start up. You can use an excellent program called startup control panel for it click here

(5) For small HDDs, FAT32 is faster.

(6) Get a big and faster HDD will definitely help.

rawprawn 17:08 30 May 2004

Thanks for the email, you are welcome. I hope all is now well.
Dennis

VoG II 17:09 30 May 2004

Ditto.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?