slow closing pages

Daiol 10:42 21 Nov 2009

Hi.I have windows xp pro fully updated,A slight hitch is when i have a web page or even a page from this forum,when i go to close the page from the red cross box top right it takes a while to close down.
Is there any reason for this,I have run malwarebites etc and done a full scan anti virus etc and all is clear.Any thoughts please.

birdface 12:12 21 Nov 2009

maybe try Command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns it should tell you DNS cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if there is any difference. or maybe give C Cleaner a run.
Also try Malwarebytes free update and run that to see if it finds any problems.
Open task Manager and under processes see if there is anything using up most of the CPU.

Daiol 20:27 21 Nov 2009

buteman,Thanks for your help,I have run malwarebytes ccleaner spybot eusing reg cleaner,
Could you please explain this item you put in a simpler way for me.
"maybe try Command prompt and type in ipconfig /flushdns it should tell you DNS cache has been flushed if so reboot and see if there is any difference."
Thanks daiol.

birdface 09:09 22 Nov 2009

Type cmd into the run box then press Ok..Command prompt will start.
Just type in the above with a little space between the ipconfig and the forward slash and press the enter button.
it should tell you DNS Cache has been cleared if so reboot the computer and see if it works any better.

birdface 09:18 22 Nov 2009

Have you checked that your air vents are not clogged up with dust or fluff if so inside will also need cleaning.
Maybe run a Defrag.
Now you can try this if you like.

click here

I find that it lets you browse a bit quicker.
You have to make sure Ad-Blocker is ticked and Mini download Manager is unticked if you are going to use it.
I/Explorer has to be restarted for changes to take effect.
Also make sure that you have the latest Flash and Java programs updated if you use them.

Daiol 11:44 23 Nov 2009

ran a few more scans etc,followed the instructions provided seems okay.What about IE8 is that any good?.daiol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017