Slow Boot/Startup

Duncanf 23:15 24 Oct 2003

Help please. O/S is Windows ME. System loads lots of programmes at startup that I don't need hence a long startup time. How can I empty some out the system tray?
Thanks in anticipation!

powerless 23:17 24 Oct 2003

Yes, use this to see what you have >>> click here <<<

pj123 23:50 24 Oct 2003

Go to Start, Run and type msconfig and press enter. on the next window select Startup. You will see a list of all programmes that start when you boot up. Untick the ones you do not want to start and reboot. DO NOT UNTICK ScanRegistry, SystemTray, LoadPowerProfile or any Anti Virus programme you have or any Firewall programme you may have. If you find something doesn't work afterwards go back into msconfig and put the tick back in again and reboot.

Duncanf 00:11 25 Oct 2003

Thanks Powerless and pj123.
msconfig.exe did the trick and things are better.

Thankyou again!

WebGuy 00:11 25 Oct 2003

Click Start--> Startup. You can delete some of the items from this list, but it might be dangerous. You need: right click on a proggramm you don't want to run at startup--> properties-->Find Target. You'll see the folder with a lots of files. Unintallation file can be called "uninstall" or "unwise". Otherwise click Start--> Control Panel--> Add/remove proggrams--> You can remove now unwantes programms, but be carefull some of the programs can be used by System.

Duncanf 00:15 25 Oct 2003

Thanks Webguy...it's now sorted.
Many thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Best Free Video Tutorials for Drawing and Painting

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Nokia 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie