Slow boot-up and screen freezing

nevillej 12:33 14 Apr 2003

I have a two and a half year old Mesh computer with a 850MHz Athlon, 384Mb RAM, and 40Gb hard disc (about half full).
For some time I have had a problem with the screen freezing - Alt-Ctrl-Delete does nothing, and I have to press the reset button. Scandisc then runs due to improper shutdown, and I am given a message that the drive's boot area contains invalid or missing information. Scandisc then corrects this, and the boot-up proceeds normally, until the next time the screen freezes!
This seems to happen more quickly if the computer is left standing after boot-up - it does not "go to sleep".
I have been on Freeserve broadband for about 2 weeks now, and since then, on switching the computer on, I am presented with the initial text screen giving the Bios and processor type etc. and there is then a pause of about 60 - 90 secs before it proceeds with the memory check, and the rest of the boot-up
I have consulted a computer technician, who reckons AMD are rubbish, and I have a faulty processor. He then tried to sell me a new tower for £733 because my processor was obsolete, and more recent ones would not be compatible with my motherboard! Another technician recommended reformatting my hard disc, which in view of the amount of stuff on it, I don't fancy at all.
Has anybody any further ideas?

meatlaff2 19:11 14 Apr 2003

I wouldnt take much notice of all these "experts" Definition of expert is; ex = something that has been and spurt is a drip under pressure. Try; clic on START/RUN (TYPE IN BOX) msconfig, box will apear, clic on 'startup' tab. Untick everything except 'systray' It will prompt you to re start. I have Norton system works installed and run that every so often, it tends to sort most probs out. It sounds like you have far too much stuff starting when you turn comp on. Good luck!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?