Slow boot up, event ID 1003, DHCP server error.

Karma_Train 15:58 18 Mar 2010

Hi there,

Firstly let me say that I'm moderately clued up about the basic workings of computers but when it comes to routers and internet protocols etc, my head explodes, as Manuel in Fawlty Towers would say...."I know nothing".

I'm running Win XP Pro and my problem is specifically with the computer taking a long while to fully boot up, it simply hangs on the wallpaper (no icons, no sys tray) and thinks about it for ages before it finally completes the process.

In an attempt to discover the root of this fault, I looked at the event log and discovered repeated instances of Event ID 1003....'Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP server) for the Network Card with the address etc, etc, here is a [url=click here]screen shot[/url] of the actual event.

These events correspond exactly to the time delay experienced at boot up, so the clue is in there somewhere but obviously for someone with a bigger brain than mine.

I have also tried this process utilising three different routers, each time the same thing happens. I have no home network as such, my set up is just a single desktop PC with a wired ethernet connection to the router.

Once boot-up has completed my PC works perfectly and my internet connection is fine so I guess I should just stop being so anal about these kind of errors but if there are any suggestions out there as to what might be causing this annoying glitch, I'd be most grateful, many thanks for your time.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 18 Mar 2010

click here download and run winsockfix.

Karma_Train 16:38 18 Mar 2010

Thank you Fruit Bat for your reply, much appreciated.

I did as you suggested and ran the winsockfix utility and upon reboot, the computer still hung on the blank wallpaper for over a minute, which was exactly the same delay I was experiencing before.

However, when I checked the Event Log, the error I had been receiving 'Event ID 1003' had disappeared, meaning I guess, that something else entirely is causing this delay.

I've already trimmed my start up processes to a bare minimum so I'm not sure where else I can look, hey ho, many nights Googling now loom large on the horizon.

At least now I know one thing which is not causing the problem, so that's a healthly start, thanks again for your kelp, most kind of you.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:44 18 Mar 2010

Hangs at wall paper is an indication of a corrupt profile.

There is a guide to booting problems click here might be worth working through.

Karma_Train 20:25 18 Mar 2010

Thanks again Mr Fruit Bat.

Well I've been at this solidly since we last interfaced and I'm still none the wiser.

When you say hanging on the wallpaper is an indication of a corrupt profile, I'm a little confused as I am the sole user of this PC and have always bypassed the log in screen and gone straight into XP. There are two user accounts present....'All Users' and 'Charlie' (which is my name) do you mean the 'profile' which is simply my user settings? if so would creating a fresh profile and deleting the old ones be a possible course of action?

I've also since disabled all the start up processes and there's no change, it still hangs on the blank wallpaper for over a minute.

Another strange thing I've noticed is that when starting the PC in 'Safe Mode' of course there is no wallpaper present but the PC still hangs for the same amount of time before the icons and sys tray load.

Baffling aint the word for it!

Thanks again for your input.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:21 18 Mar 2010

would creating a fresh profile and deleting the old ones be a possible course of action?

Create a new one and see if it hangs when entering the new profile, if Ok then delete the old one after transferring e-mails favourites etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache