Slow Boot Up

jeffg 01:33 27 Apr 2005

I am mystified. Recently, my pc decided to boot up really slowly. It switches on, waits for about 90 seconds with just a black screen and flashing cursor, then it starts to load windows, stops again for a minute or so then completes the load into windows. Once up and running, the pc works perfectly. I did a complete reformat and install (incl. deleting and creating a new partition) and it still does it. Nothing has changed in the BIOS that I can see. Any ideas? I am running a Dell, Pentium 4 3.2, Windows XP Pro and 1GB of RAM. Thanks for any help you can give.

Derek 07:31 27 Apr 2005

Normally your Bios would give you the opportunity to load a Default or Optimum setting. Do this and see what happens.
Your memory could be faulty. Assuming that you have more than one stick loaded,take one out at a time to see the results.

jeffg 11:25 27 Apr 2005

Thanks for your help. I finally discovered that the problem is the USB Hub that is plugged into the machine. When I unplug it, the pc boots up normally. It's strange though, all has been well for a long time and now this suddenly starts to heppen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017