slow ADSL connection time

jon_nic 17:31 23 Oct 2006

Hi, i have a 2MB Tiscali broadband connection and am using a safecom 4114 router to connect to my PC.
The problem i have recently is that when i turn on the modem it takes more than 10 minutes for the ADSL light to be stable(i.e. conection to broadband). It used to only take a minute. once I am connected, everything is fine and i am getting the full speed. I have talked to tiscali but they seem unhelpful as usual. There is no problem with my line and all the filters are ok. can anyone advise me on this problem, is it perhaps a problem with my routers settings? The modem settings havnt changed though.

Technotiger 19:12 23 Oct 2006

Hi, disconnect the Power from your Router, wait ten seconds and then re-connect Power.

Cheers.

Meshuga 19:21 23 Oct 2006

You say "when I turn on the modem", is the modem seperate from the router or are they combined? Why do you turn it off? mine, and most people I know, leave them on all the time.

jon_nic 20:06 23 Oct 2006

I have tried powering off the modem and on again, but it still always takes at least 10 minutes for ADSL to work.

I dont use my modem during the day so i turn it off and i have no need for it to be on all the time, energy conservation and all that!
The modem is intergrated into the router it is a safecom 4114

yaesu 20:33 23 Oct 2006

Hi, if you're that bothereed with saving the planet you'll probably just have to put up with the delay! Only joking. Have you considered that the 10 mins it spends hunting around will use some of your savings? Regards, yaesu.

Technotiger 21:06 23 Oct 2006

Hi, mine is Safecom - SWAMRU54 108 ADSL Modem Router. I leave mine on all the time, even when my pc is turned off. I leave it on for my friends to connect their laptops wirelessly when they visit me.

When I first started with it, some time ago, I had similar problem as you, also with connecting Laptop - the shop where I bought it told me about the power-down, power-up trick, it certainly worked for me.

Cheers.

Meshuga 08:11 24 Oct 2006

jon_nic, the amount of current you are saving is minimal and you are cancelling out the whole concept of broadband "always on". If you must turn it off then you are going to have to put up with the delay. Mine is always on even when the pc is off so that I can boot up at any time and be able to use the pc immediately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?