Slow 8mb connection...

Cloudslave 22:45 22 Nov 2007

I am with SkyBroadband and have been for about a year, but recently it has gone stupidly slow (the past 2 months) and direct downloads are maxing out at 30kb/s...

If I could give you some more details, could anyone lead me in the right direction please?

Thanks

Earl

Dipso 23:35 23 Nov 2007

Please post your line stats and I will try and help. This utility click here will enable you to get them.

Cloudslave 04:16 24 Nov 2007

What do I actually have to do on that utility you sent me?

I can log into my Admin Panel fine...

I just don't know what i need to show you??

Thanks

Cloudslave 04:16 24 Nov 2007

What do I actually have to do on that utility you sent me?

I can log into my Admin Panel fine...

I just don't know what i need to show you??

Thanks

adamscomputers 11:43 24 Nov 2007

Information needed to diagnose speed issues on a Broadband Connection -

1) Log in to the router, look for ADSL or Broadband Status. Look for download and upload speeds.
8mbps = 8192kbps, 2mbs=2048kbps. If your on 2 meg connection then you should get upto 2048kbps. If this looks ok your BBI Line is fine, next check your PC.
2) Start Run type CMD
3) Type Ping 127.0.0.1 results should say <1ms if more than 2ms, then there is a PC issue. In this case run Netstat -a are the a lot of Established connections? Do you use P2P software, if yes then you will need to check your pc for spy/ad ware or viruses.
4)If pinging 127.0.0.1 was ok, then Ping your routers IP address, times maybe upto 3-4ms, any more then the issue is with a wired/wireless connx.
5)If that is ok and not above 4ms, then run a trace to a web address. BBC is best. So in CMD type Tracert BBC.co.uk look for times above 50ms, or a lot of asterisks. Make a note of the line number and address. The pattern for this is lines 1-3 are local, 3-8 network, onwards will be the web you are tracing.

Hope this helps

Cloudslave 13:19 24 Nov 2007

[IMG]click here[/IMG]

adamscomputers 15:07 24 Nov 2007

The BB line speed is ok, I would check with this ISP about the Line Attenuation and Noise Margin. Try the tests I suggested earlier if you call the ISP they will prob run these tests with you. (I used to work for another ISP tech support)

Dipso 08:52 25 Nov 2007

Sorry I couldn't post back. There is nothing there to explain the slow speeds and I presume you are paying for the 8 Meg package.

Is your connection wired or wireless?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017