Sloooooooooow PC!!!!

Forest red 10:29 30 Jan 2007

Over the past few months my PC has ground to a near halt. Once it has booted up, immediately the CPU usage is at 100% & even if I open a basic program or internet explorer, I get a virtual memory low message, it slows down even more & takes about 10 mins to open anything. Have tried running virus & spyware checks & it's clear. Have tried removing certain programs, but it just freezes when I open the add/remove programs page. Help!!

Jackcoms 11:05 30 Jan 2007

When did you last do some basic PC housekeeping?

Remove all the crap with click here

Run check disk

Defrag the HDD

Disable unnecessary programs/processes which run at start up, via msconfig. This will help click here

Aargh 11:51 30 Jan 2007

Download and run these two freebies

click here

and this

click here

Both are totally safe to automatically fix your issues.

If you also run ccleaner as advised by Jackcoms you have everything you need to streamline your system. Apart from updating & defragging with windows, nothing much else is needed.

The only programs I have loading at startup relate to my AV/Firewall.

squillary 16:00 30 Jan 2007

Open the Task Manager, go to the Processes tab, click the CPU heading twice so the programs using the most CPU are shown atthe top. What program is it? That will give you a clue where to start looking for the problem.

Out of interest, do you use Cyberhawk? This is exactly the problem I had with that program - took several days to work it out.

keef66 16:09 30 Jan 2007

Can you start it in safe mode, and if so, does the problem disappear?

Use the tools/startup in Ccleaner to stop all but the bare essentials from running at startup.

Problem gone? try restarting the applications one at a time until the culprit reveals itself.

Software trying to auto-update itself can often be the cause.

Nellie2 19:22 30 Jan 2007

Some good advice from CastleCops click here

Forest red 20:52 30 Jan 2007

Thanks for all the advice guys, really helpful & seems to have done the trick. To squillary, no I don't use cyberhawk so wont be that. One last question, when I try to defrag the HDD, I get an error message "Disk defragmenter has detected that Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: HDD(C:). Please run Chkdsk /f"
When i try to do this I get the following message "Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)?"
Have said yes but still does the same on restart, any ideas? Cheers.

Jackcoms 09:15 31 Jan 2007

Try coming offline, disabling your AV and then defragging

p;3 20:53 19 Mar 2007

did you get this to speed up ,or not yet?

Jackcoms 21:12 20 Mar 2007

"did you get this to speed up ,or not yet?"

I doubt it.

Looks like the PC finally ground to a halt. Forest red hasn't visited the Forum since 31 Jan. ;-)

p;3 00:27 21 Mar 2007

I know; I was just browsing through the tail end of the threads

probably needs to be defragmented and checked for bugs

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

Les meilleures applications pour enfants 2017