Slipstreaming XPSP1 & SP3

dogbreath1 11:57 16 Aug 2008

To let me use sfc /scannow post SP3 update, I used nLite click here to create a slipstreamed version of my XP install disc.

All seams to have gone well, but I have some queries (The guidance used to do this was obtained from click here)

The author gave the following advice on how to check the slipstreamed disc after burning, "Exit that and check that the contents of the CD look OK. In my case (the author), the CD has 634 MB of data in 7,171 files."

In my case (dogbreath1), the disc held 585MB containing 6652 files. Further, the I386 folder found on my original XP install disc is 465MB, the I386 folder on the slipstreamed disc is 526MB but when I overwrote the I386 folder on my C drive by copying the slipstreamed I386 folder (to enable sfc /scannow to proceed without constantly asking for the installation disc to be inserted), the resultant folder was 537MB.

So, the queries are;

1. Can anyone explain what, on the face of it, are the discrepancies in folder sizes, and
2. How can I be sure that the process worked properly and that the slipstreamed disc could in fact be used to reinstall XP at SP3 level, and
3. When running sfc /scannow, should I use the I386 folder created by the overwrite (537MB) or a straight copy of the slipstreamed I386 folder (526MB)?

I hope that makes sense.

TIA.

db.

woodchip 12:15 16 Aug 2008

No Idea but you do not need SP1 its SP2 and 3 that you need

dogbreath1 13:05 16 Aug 2008

Thanks for the response.

If the author of the advice is correct, then your supposition regarding the need for SP2 is wrong.

"If you are using nLite to create an 'XP incorporating SP3' CD you will need to have your original XP distribution CD (at any level - XP, XP SP1 or XP SP2) and the SP3 update executable file named WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe"

DieSse 13:17 16 Aug 2008

MS quote

"Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3) is a free update for Windows XP. SP3 includes all previously released Windows XP updates, including security updates, hotfixes, and select out-of-band releases."

see - click here

Which would say that only SP3 is required.

Stuartli 13:53 16 Aug 2008

SP2 includes SP1.

dogbreath1 14:30 16 Aug 2008

Cheers. If SP3 contains all previously released updates, this implies that it would not include unchanged files from the I386 folder that came with my original XPSP1 install disc.

So it seems that the I386 folder from a slipstreamed disc would be required for use with sfc /scannow.

DieSse 16:06 16 Aug 2008

Yes - I think I understand what you're saying.

If you do an sfc, you would need to do it with the slipstreamed CD that includes the latest service pack you've installed - otherwise you would be checking an older CD against newer installed files.

I've always tried to caution against doing sfcs with original CDs on updated installs.

DieSse 16:12 16 Aug 2008

I should have added that that last warning also applies to post SP updates. The last thing you want is to overwrite updated files with older ones from a CD, under any circumstances.

In fact I never run sfc myself, for that very reason.

I've been using Autostreamer for slipstreaming - I've just downloaded nlite to give it a try, and see if it's just as simple (Autostreamer is extremely simple!).

dogbreath1 17:29 16 Aug 2008

nLite is as simple or complicated as you want to make it. By using all of the default settings, it's a doddle, whereas you can configure to your hearts content.

It can include your product key, preferred drivers and can build in most if not all of the settings you are asked to choose during an XP installation.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone