Slipstreaming XP

Spark6 19:32 20 Nov 2006

I am attempting to slipstream Windows XP with Service Pack 2 using Paul Thurrott's method, see click here

The sixth paragraph has the following instruction: Now, you need to extract the SP2 files. To do so, open up a command line window by navigating to Start, and then Run, and typing "cmd" (no quotes); then hit ENTER. Then, using the following commands, navigate to that folder and extract the files (Note that the text [ENTER] means hit the ENTER key):

cd
cd sp2

xpsp2.exe -xc:\sp2 [ENTER]

I have tried to follow this instruction numerous times but it always comes up as an invalid command. As always, any help with this conundrum gratefully received.

brundle 19:33 20 Nov 2006

dont you mean

xpsp2.exe -x:c:\sp2

brundle 19:34 20 Nov 2006

making sure the service pack 2 file (`xpsp2.exe`) is in the current folder too;

rodriguez 19:36 20 Nov 2006

Should be xpsp2.exe -x c:\sp2

xpsp2.exe = the self extracting archive with SP2 in it

-x = the extract command

c:\sp2 = the target directory for extracted files

This is as long as the xpsp2.exe is actually there in the correct directory of course.

rawprawn 19:43 20 Nov 2006

Have a look at this, it is a good description of how to slipstream
click here

jimv7 19:46 20 Nov 2006

I used autostreamer from click here

very simple to use, just point it at the xp files, then sp2 files and wait for the image to be created.

Spark6 19:57 20 Nov 2006

Thank you both for the prompt replies, I shall try your suggestions.

I wonder if you would try the link I supplied and check my interpretation of the instruction!

rawprawn: that's the same link!!

Spark6 20:04 20 Nov 2006

Apologies. Your link starts the same as mine but the confusing instruction in mine is not in yours, which appears to be more straight forward.

Spark6 23:26 20 Nov 2006

Still struggling. Please check out my original link to Paul Thurrott's method and comment on the instructions I mentioned.

The link has been posted in earlier threads on this forum!

Strawballs 01:05 21 Nov 2006

click here I have used this site a few times for various people and even modified it to extract windows from an HP disc and make it bootable and it has worked every time.

Spark6 15:01 04 Dec 2006

I've just noticed I closed this thread without a conclusion. Although I was still unable to use Paul Thurrott's method I closed the thread because sunny staines was in the same position and I took an interest in his thread.

P.S I'm still trying but have other problems on my mind.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?