Slipstream XP + SATA

radi8or 09:48 24 Feb 2010

Hi all,

A member on my car club forum wants to clean install XP on his Vista laptop, which doesn't have a floppy drive, my query is can I build him a slipstream disc with SATA driver and send it to him to install using his licence code if not would disabling AHCI in the BIOS have any noticable effect ?

Thanks in advance

Bob

gengiscant 09:53 24 Feb 2010

There should be some help here.
click here

radi8or 10:03 24 Feb 2010

gengiscant hi,

Thanks for quick response and link, but know how do a slipstream, just wondering if it will install with my friends licence code.

Thanks again.

Regards Bob

MAJ 10:22 24 Feb 2010

As long as his version of XP (Home, Pro) is the same version as you slipstream, then he should be able to use his own product key.

A word of warning though, make sure he has all the XP drivers for his laptop first and make sure he takes a backup of his disk as it is now, he doesn't want to lose the option to restore the laptop to factory settings (Vista) if things go pear-shaped with XP. Cloning the drive with Acronis True Image would be a good idea, or at the very least, make restore DVDs using the option on the laptop if it exists.

MAJ 10:25 24 Feb 2010

P.S. If your friend doesn't have Acronis True Image to clone the drive, check out the drive manufacturer's website, they usually provide free software to do it.

radi8or 10:29 24 Feb 2010

Cheers maj sounds like a plan. :0))

Any thoughts on the AHCI query ?

Regards Bob

MAJ 10:44 24 Feb 2010

Disabling AHCI in the BIOS, or changing to Native IDE mode, (some BIOS offer one or either option), might work, radi8or, I've never had to use the option yet.

BRYNIT 10:52 24 Feb 2010

You can slipstream all drivers including the ones for the AHCI and should have no problems with the install. Not sure if turning AHCI would have any noticeable effect. A little information on AHCI

click here

If your friends licence code is for windows Vista, No it will not work with windows XP.

radi8or 11:04 24 Feb 2010

Thanks MAJ,

BRYNIT, "If your friends licence code is for windows Vista, No it will not work with windows XP." he has his own install disk for XP, he's on a learning curve.

Thanks again both, will leave this open a bit to report back.

Regards Bob

BRYNIT 11:22 24 Feb 2010

You could try nlite click here I've used it myself, it will allow you to slipstream the drivers/service packs and programs. You can also put in the XP licence codes in ready.

Guide on how to use nLite click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?