Slightly Complex Networking Query

Viv-208691 11:25 13 Aug 2008

Hi there, I have a slightly complicated networking question to ask:

I have a wireless router on the bottom floor of a 4 floor house. That is the only place it can be because that's where the phoneline enters the building.

However, the wireless signal isn't strong enough to reach the top 2 floors and so we use some Philips 'network plugs' where I plug an ethernet cable from the plug to my PC and that works just fine. However, I have recently bought an iPhone and am eager to get the wireless working on the top floors too.

My question is this then: can I somehow connect a wireless router (which I already have) to a network plug in order to increase the wireless range? One possible problem is perhaps that the router will only recognise an internet connection from ADSL (rather than ethernet), is this the case?

Thank you for your time and thanks in advance.

FT

mgmcc 07:48 14 Aug 2008

If you have a spare Wireless Modem/Router then you can use it as a basic Network Switch and/or Wireless Access Point.

In its settings, disable its DHCP server so that it doesn't allocate IP addresses to devices connected to it. Forget its RJ11 telephone connection and connect one of its LAN ports to the Philips network plug. You can then connect PCs or other network devices to either another LAN port or "wirelessly". Your *main* router will continue to allocate the IP addresses to the devices connected to the second router (which isn't now functioning as a "router", but as a network switch).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?