Slideshows on DVD with a menu

GroupFC 11:32 28 Feb 2006

I have made three small slideshows (with transitions and a soundtrack) using Roxio’s Easy Media Creator 7 (basic DVD edition), which came with my Freecom external DVD D/L writer.

I have been trying to make a DVD of these three slideshows using the DVD builder (which is part of EMC 7) and it has been a very frustrating experience!

I have been able to create a SVCD, but the quality is not as good as I would have hoped and have been able to burn them to a DVD RW, which plays on the PC, but doesn’t play on a standalone DVD player. What I can’t do however is successfully burn them to DVD +/- R. The program goes through the motions, but always seems to hang at some part of the process, last night it stopped at finalising the disc.

As I have said this is extremely frustrating (and I have any number of coasters for which I now have to find a use!), and I think that I amabout give up on EMC 7, I have trawled their support forum, looking for answers but with little success.

What I want to do is create a DVD of all our (best!) photographs (with transitions and soundtrack), with a menu for easy navigation, which will play on a standalone player. (I eventually want to get edited Camcorder footage on DVD, in the same way but thought I would start with a project that I thought would be easy!).

Has anybody got any advice or recommendations for decent software, which will do what I want!!

hssutton 11:46 28 Feb 2006

What you really need is a standalone slideshow program such as proshow gold. try it for free click here It's one of the more expensive ones, but IMO the best. Have a look at "Online Sharing" as this will give you some idea of what you can do.

GroupFC 12:30 28 Feb 2006

That certainly looks very interesting – some of the shows on the site were stunning (you certainly won’t see my efforts up there!).

I couldn’t see on the site the system requirements – my PC is now a bit long in the tooth – do you happen to know what they are?

Is this only a slideshow prog. or will it also do videos? And, more importantly how “user-friendly” is it?

I think I’ll have to download the trial when I get home tonight and give it a go.

hssutton 12:47 28 Feb 2006

the system requirements are at the bottom of the page, but to save you searching.

Microsoft Windows XP, 2000, ME, 98, 95. Pentium II or better CPU. 128 MB RAM, CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW for disc output. 800x600, 24-bit display. 50 MB available hard drive space for installation. Note: Processor speed, amount of RAM and video card speed will affect performance of show creation and playback.

It's extemely easy to use. I've never used video, but I do know that you mix both video and stills within one show.

If you go to "Online Sharing" and enter "hssutton" into the "Browse Member Collection" then click on "High Flier" you will see a trial show that I made

GroupFC 13:04 28 Feb 2006

Thank you - couldn't see the wood for the trees!!

As I said I'll have to give it a go and see how I get on.

I liked your show (and thought your choice of soundtrack excellent!) - daughter, granddaughter, niece?

I'll leave this open for now and come back to it once I've had a chance to have a play.

BT 08:16 01 Mar 2006

Ulead VideoStudio is excellent for Video and slideshow production. I just finished a slideshow yesterday using digital photos with titles, music and a voiceover. It is very easy to use and produces output to tape, VCD, SVCD or DVD

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?