Slides to DVD

Yeldarb 18:27 11 Aug 2006

I have quite a few slides I'd like to transfer to DVD for lecture purposes.

Can you recommend a little slide reader that I have vaguely heard about ?

( I have a Fuji S7000 camera )

Jak_1 20:11 11 Aug 2006

I take it that by slides you mean transparencies, for that you will need to scan them into a format recognisable by a DVD player. Jpeg is the format most DVD players will recognise. To do this there are two ways:

1. The cheapest and easiest is to take them to a film processor, any high street one will do, and they can transfer them for you at a very reasonable cost. Stipulate that you want them in Jpeg format for viewing from a DVD player.

2. More expensive, you can buy a film scanner and do it yourself. However these scanners do not come cheap. Epson do a very good one.

Hope this helps.

bendigo 20:36 11 Aug 2006

I have a large collection of slides from way back and have scanned many of them with my 'Primefilm 1800' dedicated scanner by Pacific Image Electronics which I think cost me £79. Worth every penny, it also scans negatives.
It's for 35mm slides and negs of course.They have a website at click here. The usoftware is also very good.

alexander-210570 21:34 11 Aug 2006

I have a huge collection of slides and bought a epson scanner with a negative carrier for slides and negs it takes one slide at atime and about 2 minutes a slide it takes time but is worth it save as jpeg then use in any proram that makes slide shows to copt to dvd or make powerpoint presentations and cpoy with powerpoint to dvd there is a program on the download web

Bagsey 21:40 11 Aug 2006

I have just bought a PrimeFilm 1800U film and slide scanner, which is not the best on the market but it will do what you want. I am in the process of scanning slides of my working life in Africa. It takes a bit of patience but I have done 400 slides in short sessions over about 3 weeks. Try ebay. I got mine for £51.00 click here Hope that helps.

hssutton 21:50 11 Aug 2006

Do you have a "viewer" for your slides, if so place the slide in the viewer and use your camera. it's also very simple to make a light box to back light the slides, then again use your camera.

Obviously if you have a large amount to do then a dedicated scanner is the way to go.

Jak_1 01:32 12 Aug 2006

Would also suggest downloading 'Irfanview'. A very good and free graphics program, should you need to convert image files from one format to another this will do it in batches. It will convert a folder or more at a time and let you view the results.

Jak_1 01:32 12 Aug 2006

Whoops, forgot to post the addy!

click here

Gongoozler 07:42 12 Aug 2006

For scanning slides my Epson Perfection 3490 Photo scanner does a remarkably good job for a reasonably priced model. It scans slides 3 at a time. I also find that when correcting slightly underexposed slides, a little gamma tweak - in the region of 1.1 to 1.3 - often does more good than straight contrast correction. I also use Irfanview for presentation.

Yeldarb 22:13 12 Aug 2006

I am most grateful fro the adices from Jak-1, bendigo, estoy,hssutton and gongoozler. I would like to get back to them and tell of my progress - but if I click "resolved" the line may close.
I am in process of downloading Irfanview and Prime Film 1800 and |I can't wait to see my results
Is there any way of keeping the discussion open ?

From Yeldarb

Jak_1 22:22 12 Aug 2006

Just type in bump in the message box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?