slide scanner

Shagrin1 09:25 05 Feb 2003

I have boxes full of old slides of the kids etc which I rarely look at as I can't be bothered to set up the projector. I am thinking of buying a slide scanner and transfering them onto a cd. Have there been any reviews on these scanners, I would like some advice on what dpi optical resolution is satisfactory etc. I just want to produce ordinary film size prints from them, not interested in A3 printouts.
Shagrin

MalcSP 09:39 05 Feb 2003
  MalcSP 11:23 05 Feb 2003
  bfoc 12:07 05 Feb 2003

I have an Epson Perfection 1200 Photo and a Benq Scanwit 2720s and the dedicated film scanner is much better on quality and convenience, particularly when batch scanning. However it can only cope with 35mm negs and transpariences whereas my Epson can manage larger negs.

You can get dedicated film scanners which do larger negs, but at a cost.

In Practical Photography January issue they compared a few flatbed (including Epson Perfection 2400) and film scanners. But do check what size negs they can handle.

Hope this helps.

Filch 14:20 05 Feb 2003

There are a lot of good film scanners, but if you just want to do 35mm, I would suggest you consider the Minolta Dimâge Scan Dual II (or for a bit more the new Scan Dual III). The software is good and easy to use - and the II comes with Photoshop LE, the III with Photoshop Elements. Both are USB. I've used the II for over a year now and the results are excelent.

shifty 21:22 05 Feb 2003

Bought a slide and negative scanner for my Dad from Jessops at around £124.00, also seen on QVC. It's a Microtech scanner which if I remeber correctly scanned at around 1800dpi. He's a a seriously keen photographer and he says the results are excellent coming from slides from the 1960's. The prints from the slides are as good as the day the photo's where taken.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone