SLI question

doctor92 21:32 19 Jan 2007

I have a 7900GT graphics card installed, which is struggling to play Splinter cell Double agent at decent speeds. 2 questions;

1. should I sell the 7900GT and get a new card, if so, which one,

or should I go the SLI route, and if so

2. does the second card have to be a 7900GT, or would a 7950GT do, or 7900GS etc etc

I assume the rest of the PC is up to spec (Athlon X2 4200, 2GB RAM etc)

TonyTT 21:36 19 Jan 2007

To be honest your system seems pretty good and I am amazed your having problems with that game. give your system a good clean out with CCleaner/spybot/adware etc.

doctor92 21:40 19 Jan 2007

I must admit I was surprised as well, it had a clean re-install recently and runs everything else OK. Is Double Agent a particularly graphics-intense game?

doctor92 21:48 19 Jan 2007

by "everything else" I meant it runs FEAR and Far Cry at the highest settings with no probs.

Kate B 22:01 19 Jan 2007

If you're really going to buy a new graphics card, I'd sit tight for a couple of months and see what happens to the price of the 8800, which supports DX10 , first as ATI gets its own DX10 cards out and second as more cards are released.

You should also try installing the latest Nvidia drivers; and turn off antivirus software while you're playing. It sounds as though it would be a good idea, as TonyTT says, to run scans with the usual collection of antimalware apps.

splinter cell double agent comes free with 7600gt and plays smooth as... at full settings (thats why you get it free i guess!)
i would follow tonytt's advice, because something is not right!

get the latest drivers from click here
9371 i think

9371 (under drivers) download to desktop,
remove old driver from add/remove programs,
reboot (your then in cga? mode,
double click on new drivers,
click install.
forgive me if you know all this!
adam

terryf 03:29 20 Jan 2007

What wattage is your power supply? I needed to uprate mine because of peculiar problems which did not seem to be attributable, now have 530 watt trust and all is ok

doctor92 07:30 20 Jan 2007

I run ccleaner and anti malware apps quite regularly, and have the 93.71 driver, I think terryf may have got it - the PSU is a cheapo one that came with the case. I will try and swap it later today to see if that helps

doctor92 15:50 20 Jan 2007

I've now got a decent quality 500w PSU in there, and no difference. It must be something to do with the game, because the PC flies when anything else is running. Uninstall and re-install I think.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?