SLI INNO3D 6600GT

kiddgame2000 12:17 22 Feb 2006

I recently bought a new gaming computer with an SLI motherboard and a Inno3d 128mb 6600gt pci-express card.

I now want to add another one and run them in SLI. Will any Inno3d 128mb 6600gt pci-express card do or do i need to make sure they are the same version of the card? i assume all of the 6600gt cards are the same and its just a matter of buying any one.

Also will i need to use power connectors when i add the second card or can the pci bus handle them both.

Any help would be most appreciated.

BigMoFoT 13:30 22 Feb 2006

If you want to add anoter card then ANY 6600 GT card will work. This has only been possible with the recent release of display drivers from nVidia - previoulsy you had to have 2 exact cards from the same manufacturer, i.e. you would have had to have 2x 6600 GT's from Inno3D! As long as you use the latest drivers which is more important than ever with SLi configurations (read the release notes on some of the versions!). In terms of power it depends on the board and the card. I recently built a system with a 6600GT that did not require an additional power connector and only received it's power from the PCI-E bus. I'm guessing that if you go SLi you will need aditional power to the motherboard - there is usually a connector for a standard molex power connector. What board have you got?

kiddgame2000 13:57 22 Feb 2006

Its an ASUS® A8N-SLI: DUAL DDR, S-ATA, 2 x x16 VGA, 3 PCI

amd 64 4000
2 gb ram

Are you sure any 6600gt card will do. Thats a big development.
I think i probably will need to add a power connector to at least one of the cards. Is that even possible to run one of the board and the other of the power supply.

Also i assume i won't need any special cooling requirements for the both of them, they should be grand shouldn't they?

BigMoFoT 14:48 22 Feb 2006

The same board and you need to look for the Asus EZ plug on your board - it's a standard white molar power connector, near the blue PCI-E bus. As for using any 6600GT this is quit true )preferably with the smae memory)

Check the FAQ's here;

click here

surfsteruk 15:07 22 Feb 2006

'Is that even possible to run one of the board and the other of the power supply.'

Depends if the card has a connection for a power plug. I have the same MB and my 6600GT doesnt have the power socket.

kiddgame2000 15:14 22 Feb 2006

Ok i think i understand everything other than the power issues.

Heres what i understand do far.

1) Leave the current card in the board.
2) Insert the other card into the board and take a power lead from the PSU to the card.
3) Connect the SLI bridge
4) Turn on the computer and install the new card using the new nvidia drivers and update the other card to the new drivers.
5) Enjoy endless hours of trouble free gaming.

Have i got things about right?

surfsteruk 15:18 22 Feb 2006

Yes, sounds right.

BTW, I just like to mention that 1 single 7800GT will easily out perform 2 6600GT's.

kiddgame2000 15:27 22 Feb 2006

Yea i know but i spotted a 6600gt on ebay for £30 new and thought that was a bargin for the performance i would get with the 2 of them running together.

Someday i will buy a 7800gtx but for £30 im going down this route, besides its a fun experiment to carryout some night.

Thanks for all the help i will probably be back if i have any problems.

BigMoFoT 15:38 22 Feb 2006

The power connector from the PSU connects directly to the motherboard - NOT the 2nd graphics card. Unless your motherbord is in the Premium rnage of the Asus Sli boards then you need to the set the board to dual video cards using the special PCB on the motherboard - if you have the premium version then just flick a switch...

Ensure you have the latest drivers first and when you boot back into Windows you should get a notification indicating that this system is capable of SLi...

007al 16:04 22 Feb 2006

BigMoFoT is right,you need to connect a molex into the motherboard by the PCI express slots.6600GT`s dont need a seperate connector to the card,theyre not that power hungry.You say you bought the pc as an SLi pc,so the builder should have installed an appropriate psu to handle it.If yor board has the SLi card between the two PCI express slots,you will have to turn SLi card over so it enables SLi.If you have the board with the switch,then even easier.This small board is What changes the motherboard to SLi mode,and not the SLi bridge.SLi can be used without the bridge with about 15-20% drop in performance

kiddgame2000 16:18 22 Feb 2006

A few questions.

1) Whats a molex
2) What is this card you speak of between the 2 pci-express slots and how do i turn the card over to enable SLI

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?