slave hard drive

bpzoom 17:22 05 Jan 2004

Windows XP HOME. I want to instal a second hard drive as a slave. I intend to partition the slave drive. As it will be a slave, should all the partitions be made secondary ones, or does the new drive have to have one primary partition? I have no intention of ever loading an additional OS. Is there a recommended formatting utility other than Fdisk please?

Rayuk 18:30 05 Jan 2004

Go to Start-run-type in diskmgmt.msc
Your slave drive should show up here,you can then partion and format here.
If you then click on the Help tab then help topics and have a look through.

Diemmess 18:34 05 Jan 2004

I think it sensible to format with first partition active, assuming you are using FDISK.
I don't think there is a penalty waiting to spoil your day if you do this.

As for XP (uncharted territory for me) there is probably a facility somewhere in XP to do it all for you. I keep seeing mentioned in this forum HD manufacturers websites with downloadable programs to partition and format their products in a "friendly way"

Rayuk 19:53 05 Jan 2004

As this is going to be a slave drive no need to make any partition active.
Diskmanagement is the easy way to do it,just have a look at the help files first.

bpzoom 23:00 05 Jan 2004

Brilliant ! I did not know this was provided within XP, and thought I needed to buy a prog like Partition Magic. Although the second disc has yet to arrive, I have carried out the process you pointed to, and have split the current 38gb C drive into two partitions. I did it 50/50 with 19g for Windows etc and the rest on the logical drive now named F. Is there a recommended minimum size for the WIN XP primary partition please? I read somewhere it should be no more than 8gb, I have given it 19gb. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?