Skype - Webcams What do you look for in a webcam

compumac 16:41 23 Aug 2006

I have just downloaded Skype and its content looks quite good. I have looked in the forums and the question that appears is "what is the best".

My query is
1)What do you look for in a webcam in order of priority? I have looked at the more expensive i.e. £99 down to the £5 efforts.

2) Whereas one expects the more expensive to be better quality, is that extra cost justified?

3) Are all webcams compatible with Skype or is that a silly question?

4) I might as well as the question what should one avoid?

Diversion 16:50 23 Aug 2006

A good selection here click here

anskyber 16:51 23 Aug 2006

I have one of these with Skype and the video quality is very good indeed. The cheaper ones tend to have poorer optical quality and the very expensive ones have other facilities you may not use. (or you might!) click here

compumac 20:44 23 Aug 2006

^^

Stuartli 20:57 23 Aug 2006

The D-Link NetEasy 350 Pro is around £50, has the specification of a £40 to £50 model and is a first class product for the purpose.

I know because I have one...:-)

It has the same spec as a £55 Creative webcam I had originally, but swapped it for my son's D-Link for some reason or other - didn't even notice any difference in use and it even works with the Creative software (which includes motion detection for security purposes if required).

Stuartli 20:59 23 Aug 2006

The latest Skype versions include video webcam integration - provided the webcam is working properly it will incorporate the output if required. You can have picture in picture if necessary i.e. the other caller in the main frame and a smaller version of your output.

compumac 21:57 23 Aug 2006

Could you explain "video webcam integration"

Stuartli 22:01 23 Aug 2006

You can configure Skype to start your webcam automatically when a call commences - you can also test the webcam is working correctly.

It's done from Tools>Video.

compumac 22:04 23 Aug 2006

Thanks for that. I am still unsure as to what one should really look for in a webcam, the range is somewhat mystifying.

terryf 22:27 23 Aug 2006

Look for a webcam that is 640 x 480 or higher, I have a Logitech Pro 4000 and it gives a better picture than a cheapo that was supplied with a computer system I bought

compumac 22:43 25 Aug 2006

I am looking at two webcams - Creative Labs Quick Cam Pro 5000 and Logitech Live! Voice. Anyone have comments on either?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?