Skype webcam problem

hugh144 15:55 10 Nov 2009

Hi - I was prompted to upgrade my version of Skype yesterday and since then I have been unable to get the webcam to work.

As soon as I click onto Options > Video settings the screen 'greys out' and a message appears stating that: Skype has stopped working. A problem caused this programme to stop working correctly.

The built in webcam worked fine until the upgrade - just wish I hadn't bothered.

Any ideas how to resolve this?

Pepper9 18:04 10 Nov 2009

I upgraded to the latest and had nothing but problems - no picture and then SKYPE would freeze completely. Went onto Google and reinstalled version 3.8. All seems fine again now.
Phil

hugh144 18:20 10 Nov 2009

Thanks Pepper9 - sorry to be a pain but to do what you advise do you uninstall the current upgraded version (V4) first or just download V3.8?

Technotiger 18:41 10 Nov 2009

I upgraded yesterday to Version 4.1.0.179 without any such problems! All working perfectly.

But if you do want to revert to an earlier version, you would be best un-installing your latest version before installing the older one. I believe you will still have your Contacts in place when you re-install.

Technotiger 18:53 10 Nov 2009

BTW - I upgraded my Skype of my own accord, I was not prompted to do so - because of this, I am wondering if there is a rogue bit of nastiness out there causing your problem. Might be a good idea to run all your anti-everything programs before doing your re-install of Skype. Just a thought!

hugh144 17:27 15 Nov 2009

Me again - first of all many thanks for your help. How would we manage without this forum?

As I couldn't resolve the V4 issue I uninstalled V4 and re-installed V3.8. Skype now appears to be working OK and I can't see the difference between the two versions.

However, I used Skype last night (Saturday) to make a video call to New Zealand & whilst the sound was perfect, the picture kept blocking / freezing.

Any ideas as the cause or is it just down to the volume of people using Skype / internet at that time?

Your views (as always) would be appreciated.

Regards

Technotiger 17:32 15 Nov 2009

Picture with slight problems, could be caused by so many things, especially over that distance - inclement weather could produce those symptoms, as could busy air-ways etc etc ...

Pepper9 18:01 15 Nov 2009

Having posted earlier about v3.8 (Pepper9)and reading more comments I decided to give version 4.1.0.179 a try and did as Technotiger did - upgraded on my own accord from within the SKYPE menu. Downloaded no problem and had an hour conference call to Canada, Wiltshire and home last night with no problems. Quality of sound was excellent according to my friends in Canada, better than when using 3.8. Picture seemed OK when I was calling my friend in Wiltshire before going over to conference call. Hope it continues!!

hugh144 18:40 15 Nov 2009

Thanks guys.

I'm still non plussed as to the difference (if any) between V3.8 & V4.0!!

Weather has calmed down a bit here in Wales so going to try NZ again later.

Diolch yn fawr

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?