Skype webcam problem.

kitosdad 09:48 09 Dec 2007

Having both opened Skype accounts and installed and sound tested our installations my son ( in Ireland )
and I ( in Germany )were looking forward to regular chats. Skype to Skype conversations both on our computers and landlines are really good, but we can't get any Webcam images, even though both Webcams have the blue lights illuminated suggesting all is well. Any suggestions please.?

johnnyrocker 09:53 09 Dec 2007

not too good on skype but would ask why not use either yahoo messenger or msn? both use audio and webcams with no probs and avoids the telephony bit.

johnny

jon2 10:33 09 Dec 2007

you have to press the start my webcam button

ambra4 10:44 09 Dec 2007

Have you checked the video setting in Skype make sure the

“Enable Skype Video” and “Start My Video Automatic when I am in a call” is tick

and the correct camera is selected in the web cam box

Technotiger 11:39 09 Dec 2007

Or, when one person has clicked on Start my Video and the 'receiving' person cannot see that pic, the receiving person should then click on Menu in the 'sending' persons area in the Skype main window, and then scroll down the options to click on, 'View video' - though mine is not on at the moment and I cannot remember if it just says View or View video, old-age you know!

Then the other person should do the same at their end.

Technotiger 12:09 09 Dec 2007

If you would like to contact me via my Yellow envelope, we could go head-to-head on Skype itself and I could talk you through it.

kitosdad 16:04 09 Dec 2007

Many thanks to all. Seems to be working OK now.
What a relief to know we can depend of the folk on PCA. Cheers.!!!!!

kitosdad 17:27 09 Dec 2007

Success was brief. Technotiger suggests that I upgrade to 1 gigabite of ram to make better headway with this problem. Will check this out tomorrow.

Technotiger 17:55 09 Dec 2007

Meanwhile - download and run Belarc Advisor, (Free) this will tell you everything about your pc, like what RAM you have what Graphics etc ... click here
best to print out the results.

Technotiger 19:02 10 Dec 2007

Hmm, missed your call earlier this evening - I was sleeping!

kitosdad 08:18 11 Dec 2007

Fitted extra memory last night, but it was a total failure. Every time I tried to action Skype I was given an error message which was sent to Microsoft. Even on some normal applications the same thing happened. Replaced the original memory and all worked as usual.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone