Skype newbie needs help, please

stlucia2 14:02 15 Sep 2013
Answered

I'm abroad at the moment, using my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 to keep in touch. When using Skype for the first time yesterday, to contact my daughter in UK, she could see me but not hear me. I could see and hear her okay.

At the bottom of my Skype screen the audio symbol had a red line through it, but when I toggled it to 'on', the video symbol got a red line through it! I couldn't get both 'on' at the same time. Could this indicate a shortcoming in the WiFi/internet connection I'm using, or a setting I haven't found in Skype or my tablet?

Nontek 14:06 15 Sep 2013

The problem is at your daughters' end - she should check her Audio settings by clicking on Tools>Options>Audio Settings and adjusting as necessary.

Also she should run the Echo/Sound Test withinSkype.

Nontek 14:06 15 Sep 2013

The problem is at your daughters' end - she should check her Audio settings by clicking on Tools>Options>Audio Settings and adjusting as necessary.

Also she should run the Echo/Sound Test within Skype.

Nontek 14:07 15 Sep 2013

Oops, sorry about double post!

Nontek 14:22 15 Sep 2013

On second thoughts, you should do exactly the same as above to make sure that your Microphone setting is correct. The problem may be at your end!

stlucia2 14:50 15 Sep 2013

What 'tools' menu, please? There's a 'settings' menu on my Skype screen (drop down, at the top right), but no mention of microphone on it.

Nontek 21:06 15 Sep 2013

stlucia2

Sorry, I am not familiar with your Galaxy Tab2, so can't explain further but hopefully have pointed you in the right direction.

Good luck!

stlucia2 10:52 16 Sep 2013

If I unmute my mike, my speaker mutes itself, and vice versa.

stlucia2 05:15 23 Sep 2013
Answer

Problem solved, I think. I've changed 'appearance' to 'tablet view', and a call went through last night without any problem.

I think my original version -- installed a year ago was the PC version.

Nontek 09:10 23 Sep 2013

Grreat, thanks for your feedback.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?